Chapter 77: Do you Dare to Go Against it?

"Mr. Liang's parents are well-known in our town for being kind and never quarrel with anyone. Their family is harmonious." The matchmaker said, "I heard that your requirements are that your parents-in-law are good and your sisters-in-law are also good."

  "Doesn't the Liang family meet your requirements?" The matchmaker clapped her hands excitedly when she was happy. "The eldest daughter-in-law of this family is famous for her gentleness and honesty. If Li marries her, she will definitely not have any unpleasantness with her."

  "The second son of the Liang family also has regular features, and a body that is neither fat nor thin, neither tall nor short. In my opinion, he is a perfect match for your daughter-in-law."

  Mother Gu smiled reservedly, "It's true what you said, but I haven't seen him yet, so I don't know what he is like. Has he ever proposed marriage before?"

  "No!" the matchmaker said excitedly, "This is exactly what is rare. When the Liang family heard about Li's situation, they also admired her very much and didn't care about the secular perspective. They just said that it is enough for us to know that we are good."

  "Tell me, isn't this a reasonable and broad-minded family?" said the matchmaker.

  However, no matter how good the matchmaker's words were, Gu's mother was cautious and would not agree to it unless she saw the property herself.

  "I see. Thank you. But as I said before, I treat Li like my own daughter, so I must consult her carefully before making a decision." Mother Gu said, "We are not a wealthy family, so we don't care about so many red tape. I thought of finding a time. If it is convenient for the Liang family, we can go to a teahouse to chat. It will also give me a chance to meet the second son of Liang in person before making a decision."

  "To be honest, there have been quite a few families like the Liang family who have sent someone to come to my house formally, or have come to me to hint at this intention." Mother Gu smiled and said, "I also need to be more cautious."

  "I understand, I understand." The matchmaker agreed with a smile, "Then I will go back and talk to the Liang family and see if we can arrange a place for them to meet."

  "Okay." Mother Gu stood up and thanked him, "Thank you for your help."

  "It's not a trouble. If it can really lead to a good marriage, it will be a happy event and not a trouble at all." The matchmaker also stood up.

  The people outside the courtyard finally understood what he meant.

  Seeing that the matchmaker was about to leave, Wang Cuizhen hurriedly pulled Li Mumu into the room to hide.

  "I didn't expect that mother was going to arrange a marriage for you." Wang Cuizhen whispered in the room. She looked at Li Mumu with eyes full of reluctance, "It's a good thing, but... I really can't bear to leave you."

  "Sister-in-law, I won't get married." Li Mumu said firmly.

  How can you be happy as a married woman living in Gu's family?

  The Gu family supports her in whatever she wants to do.

  "What nonsense are you talking about? Who wouldn't get married?" Wang Cuizhen whispered, "Shang Qing...Shang Qing has been gone for a while, we should all move on."

  Only after hearing the matchmaker leave the yard did Wang Cuizhen pull Li Mumu out again.

  When Gu's mother saw this, she asked, "You're back? How was your conversation with the Master?"

  Wang Cuizhen said with a smile, "The teacher agreed. He will live in the courtyard from now on. Starting tomorrow, we will take the children to study with him at dawn every day. The teacher said that he will not trouble us for breakfast, and he will eat at the breakfast stall in the town."

  "At lunch and dinner, he would just finish teaching and send the children back, and eat with us on his way. If he wanted to eat outside, he would tell us," Wang Cuizhen explained.

  Mother Gu smiled and said, "This teacher seems to have a straightforward personality."

  "That's right. I think he is much better than the previous scholar." Wang Cuizhen said.

  "By the way, Mom, we just heard someone outside proposing marriage?" Wang Cuizhen asked immediately.

  Mother Gu nodded and said, "If you are busy, go back to the restaurant first. Mumu, stay for a while. I want to talk to Mumu for a while."

  "Okay." Wang Cuizhen knew what Gu's mother wanted to say to Li Mumu, so she nodded with a smile.

  He also told Gu Baiyuan and Gu Baijin not to be naughty at home, "You will be studying with the teacher tomorrow, so study hard at home this afternoon, otherwise the teacher will find out that you are not studying well when you start studying seriously tomorrow."

  Gu Baiyuan and Gu Baijin agreed obediently.

  Wang Cuizhen and Gu Shangyong left.

  After exiting the alley where the house is located, turn left and go straight to the Gu's Snacks restaurant.

  When the two of them went out, they happened to see the matchmaker walking about ten steps ahead.

  The matchmaker turned right.

  Wang Cuizhen and Gu Shangyong turned left and went to the restaurant.

  The matchmaker turned out of the alley and walked for a distance. The maid who followed her said, "Why are the Gu family's requirements so high? Don't they know the situation of their own family? The second son of the Liang family is a young man who has never been married, and he is also the shopkeeper. This condition is good in the whole Hetai Town. What else can Madam Gu choose? Even if her daughter-in-law is a virgin, she has been married. She is a widow, so her reputation is not good."

  "Because Li can make money! The Gu family was able to move from the poor Yong'an Village to the town and live in such a big house, isn't it all because of Li's business? What do you think the Liang family is interested in? Isn't it Li's ability to make money? When Li marries into the Liang family, even though Gu's snacks are called Gu's snacks, they are also made by Li. Without Li's recipes, Gu's snacks are nothing."

  "Even if the Gu family doesn't want to let go, the Liang family can just let Li open a new restaurant. Wherever Li is, that restaurant will do better business. It's that simple. Then let Liang Er be the shopkeeper of their own restaurant. Isn't it better than working for someone else and having to look at their eyes?" The matchmaker sneered, "Do you think that Mrs. Gu really can't bear to let Li go and carefully select for her? She is just dragging it out because she doesn't want this golden nugget to go to someone else's family. Mrs. Gu also knows that once Li remarries, their Gu family will have nothing."

  "If that's the case, why should she go to see Li? Just let Li stay in the Gu family." The maid was puzzled.

  The matchmaker shook her head and said, "We are now at war in the Great Xi Kingdom. Although we are strong and powerful now, and have won more battles than we have lost, how can we be safe in a war? That is why we encourage widows to remarry and give birth to more sons. More people means more soldiers. This is the policy that is being promoted from top to bottom throughout the Great Xi Kingdom."

  "How dare Madam Gu go against her? This is not the past. Women who keep their chastity will be praised." The matchmaker said, "If she does this now, Madam Gu will be criticized. She must quickly say all the nice things. She first expressed her attitude, saying that she is not a wicked mother-in-law who prevents her daughter-in-law from remarrying. She thought that those who would be interested in Li were widowers, so she had a reason to refuse under the banner of not letting Li suffer any injustice. Who knew that Liang Er would come up with such a condition? Didn't you see Madam Gu's face at that time? It was obvious that she wanted to refuse but couldn't find a suitable excuse."