Chapter 35: My Mother's Family Visits

"Don't even mention her. I can't accept it either." Mother Gu said, and started crying again. "You said that God doesn't play tricks on people like this."

  "Ever since Mu Mu married into our family, our life has been getting better and better. I have been looking forward to Shang Qing coming back to reunite with us. By then, we can run a small business and live a simple life. There is no better life. But unfortunately..."

  "Oh my God, how could this happen!" Gu's mother cried and said angrily.

  Father Gu wiped his face and wiped away the tears that had just flowed, "We...we must hold on, and keep an eye on Mu Mu, and don't let anything happen to her."

  Mother Gu nodded silently.

  The news of Gu Shangqing's death in battle spread not only in Yong'an Village.

  Thanks to the unremitting efforts of Aunt Li, Mrs. Wang and Tiedan's mother, even people from other villages knew about it.

  Li Mumu's family not only heard the news that Gu Shangqing had died in battle, but also heard the news that Li Mumu was doing very well in business in the town.

  This is naturally the credit of Aunt Li and her two other companions.

  While mending clothes for Li Mumu's brother Li Youcai, Li's sister-in-law Zhang said to Li's mother: "At home, I never knew that Li Mumu was such a capable person and could make so much money."

  Li Youcai sat beside him, with one leg bent and propped up on the stool, looking awkward, and said with a pout, "It's not just you who can't see it, our family has missed it, too."

  "I think she just holds a grudge against us for treating her badly at home, so even though she has a lot of skills to make money, she refuses to say it out." Li Youcai said bitterly.

  "But no matter what, we are her natal family. We have never let her go hungry or cold since she was a child! Why should she be dissatisfied?" Zhang and Li Youcai said in unison, "Besides, no matter what, the Gu family is only her in-laws' family. How good can they be to her? Her husband is not here, and now he is dead. Without a man to support her, how can she have a good life in her in-laws' family?"

  "Hey! It's because she has had so many bad days that she wants to show off and please her in-laws." Li Youcai curled his lips and said, "If you ask me, she is a slut. No matter how much she is a family member, she leaves her own family and goes to her in-laws to please them. No matter how much she pleases them, can her in-laws treat her as one of their own?"

  Zhang heard this and glanced at Li Youcai, "What do you mean? So for all these years, you have never treated me as your own?"

  "How can she compare with you?" Li Youcai said quickly, "She has never met Gu Shangqing since she married into the Gu family. They didn't even have a wedding night, and they won't be able to give birth to a child of the Gu family. Can the Gu family treat her as one of their own? You are different. You are the mother of my son, so of course you are one of their own."

  Zhang curled her lips and said, that's pretty good.

  Li's mother said with a sullen face, "Your sister is like an ungrateful wolf. She never thinks about the family. When she got married, she was so happy. Have you ever seen a bride get married like this?"

  "Dad, Mom, are we really just going to watch her make money for the Gu family without thinking about our family at all?" Li Youcai said.

  "Of course not." Mother Li gritted her teeth and said, "Even if she gets married, she is still the daughter of the Li family. Even if she takes her husband's surname, she must be called Gu Li in public. She was born after ten months of pregnancy, and she can't sever her ties with our family in this life. Otherwise, she would be unfilial!"

  "Mom, what should we do?" Zhang's eyes lit up.

  "What should we do?" Li's mother stood up, "Of course we should go to Gu's house to find her!"

  "As soon as she came into the family, the man was killed by her. How can she have a good life in the Gu family? If she wants the support of her parents' family, she must be of one mind with us. We can't give all the benefits to the Gu family!" Li's mother said coldly.

  Li Youcai stood up impatiently and asked, "When are we going?"

  "Let's go now." Li's mother said, "Ask her to hand over the secret recipe of the snack stand. We can do it too."

  Zhang thought about having to clean the water again and again, and felt exhausted. She said, "Why do we need to do it ourselves? Let Li Mumu share some of the money she makes with us."

  "You lazy woman, you just don't want to work!" Li's mother angrily threw the cloth on the table at Zhang's face, "Let her divide the money, she can take as much as she wants, and she can drag us as much as she wants. Have you ever thought about how difficult it is to ask for money? Can she come to our door every day?"

  "Why don't we get her secret recipe and make it ourselves? All the money we earn will be ours," said Li's mother. "Then we can just destroy her business. No one will compete with us for business, and we will earn more, right?"

  Zhang took the cloth off her head awkwardly, thinking that Li's mother was truly a vicious person.

  Li Mumu is her own daughter after all, but she wants to smash her own daughter for her own benefit.

  My daughter's business.

  "Mom is right." Li Youcai said quickly.

  Li's mother was still angry and said to Li Youcai, "Control your wife. She is lazy and gluttonous all day long. What a shame!"

  "Yes, yes, yes." Li Youcai responded quickly, and then said, "Mom, let's go find Li Mumu."

  Outside the house, Li Mumu's younger brother Li Youkang heard the conversation inside and hurried to Yong'an Village.

  He ran panting to the door of Gu's house in Yong'an Village and knocked on the door anxiously.

  When Gu's mother opened the door, she was stunned when she saw Li Youkang and did not recognize him for a moment.

  "Auntie Gu, is...is my sister here?" Li Youkang asked breathlessly.

  "Your sister?" Mother Gu was stunned for a moment, then recognized her. "Oh! You are Mu Mu's brother! Come in, come in."

  While greeting them, Gu's mother said, "Your sister has gone to the town to set up a stall. She's not here right now, but she will be back before noon. What do you want? Come in and wait for her first?"

  "No...no need." Li Youkang was struggling over whether to hide nearby and wait for Li Mumu, or go to town.

  The journey to town was not short, and he was worried about missing Li Mumu on the way.

  At this moment, Li's mother's voice was heard from a distance, "Just turn the corner."

  Li Youkang hurriedly said, "Auntie, please don't tell anyone that I was here."

  After saying that, he ran away without saying anything else.

  "Hey, you..." Before Mother Gu could finish her words, she could no longer find Li Youkang.

  Mother Gu closed the door in surprise.

  Li Youkang went around the wall and secretly saw a family from a distance coming towards this side.

  Li Youkang thought about it and decided to wait for Li Mumu here.

  It's too late to go to town now.

  By waiting here, at least I can tell Li Mumu in advance so that she can be prepared.

  Mother Gu had just returned to the house, and before she had time to sit down, she heard another knock on the door, and a voice came from outside, "Is the in-law home?"

  "Coming!" Mother Gu hurried to open the door again.

  When he opened the door, he saw Li's father, Li's mother, Li Mumu's brother and sister-in-law, and Li Youkang who had just come and left in a hurry. The whole family was there.