Chapter 149: Just Give It Away, Why Should I Be Involved?

Li Mumu didn't bother to pay attention to Su Zhier's weird tone and handed the hairpin to the waiter, "I want this one."

"Mrs. Gu, would you like to reconsider this?" Su Zhier called her.

"What do I need to consider?" Li Mumu asked puzzledly.

"The hairpin you picked is... a little too real." Su Zhier said, "Madam Gu, you are now the general's wife after all. If General Gu gets promoted to a higher position in the future, I'm afraid you will embarrass him if you still have the same taste and words and deeds as today."

"What's so shameful about that?" Gu Shangqing was puzzled.

Su Zhier said softly, "General Gu, you don't know that Madam Gu will represent you in the future when socializing with the ladies of Chong'an. The jewelry we wear should be exquisite and elegant, not how heavy the gold is."

"Madam Gu, going out with such a heavy golden hairpin on your head is really... really disgraceful." Su Zhier held the handkerchief and lightly covered her mouth. "I am telling you this now out of kindness. I don't want you to lose face in the future."

"It's better to be like this, my wife is so real." Gu Shangqing said.

Su Zhier looked at Gu Shangqing in surprise, and heard Gu Shangqing say: "You are the kind who care about exquisiteness and elegance, and don't care about the weight of gold. Aren't you stupid? The money has been spent, so it must be worth it."

"Fortunately, my wife is not stupid and knows how to manage the household. She doesn't buy those flashy things that look good but are useless." Gu Shangqing said.

Su Zhier was so stunned that she was speechless.

"You...you..." How did Gu Shangqing become like this?

In her memory, Gu Shangqing was also an elegant person and a famous Confucian general in Daxi.

Although he was a military general, he could compose poems and lyrics and was well-versed in classics.

Why are you talking so mercenary now?

He must have been influenced by Li Mumu!

"Boss, how much is it?" Gu Shangqing shouted and then pulled Li Mumu to pay the bill.

Without looking at Su Zhier again, nor saying another word to her, he paid the bill, took the hairpin, and left with Li Mumu.

The guy waited for a while before cautiously approaching, "Girl, is there anything you like?"

"No!" Su Zhier said angrily, turned around and left.

Li Mumu and Gu Shangqing returned home.

The family was busy all the time and didn't notice that the two of them left and came back.

Li Mumu pushed Gu Shangqing, and Gu Shangqing took the box and went to the hall, "Mom."

"Is there something wrong?" Gu's mother was sewing sandbags for Gu Baiyuan and Gu Baijin.

Recently, the children in the neighborhood have started playing the game of hopscotch, and Gu Baiyuan and Gu Baijin have become addicted to it.

Even after playing outside and returning home, we would draw squares in the yard and continue playing.

Gu Xiuxiu, on the other hand, didn't like playing this and actually liked to learn how to settle accounts from Zhang Caiping.

"Mom, this is for you." Gu Shangqing placed the long wooden box in front of Gu's mother.

"Why are you giving me things for no reason?" asked Gu's mother.

"Tomorrow is the first day of the new year. According to custom, we have to wear new clothes and everything should be brand new." Gu Shangqing explained, "I don't know what clothes to buy for you. Besides, as for clothes, we still have Dad. I'll buy you something else."

"Your father?" Mother Gu gave Father Gu a sidelong look. "I bought all these myself. What else can he think of?"

Father Gu: "..."

"You kid, just give it if you want, why involve me?" Father Gu said angrily.

Gu Shangqing: "..."

Why is General Shang like this and Dad like this too?

They are not qualified to be husbands.

"You said I have everything, so why are you spending money to give me something?" Although Mother Gu said this, she couldn't help but smile. When she opened the box, she was dazzled by the gold inside.

"Oh, this... why did you give me such an expensive thing!" said Gu's mother.

"Mu Mu said that when she was in Yong'an Village, she didn't have the conditions and it was inconvenient to wear jewelry." Gu Shangqing explained, "But now that you are here, you don't have to do any work, so you naturally have to dress yourself up beautifully."

"The golden hairpin is real!" said Gu Shangqing.

Mother Gu nodded repeatedly, "Yes, gold is still practical. Those fancy hairpins are useless even if they look good. Gold is useful at the critical moment."

Gu Shangqing thought that Li Mumu really understood Gu's mother. Seeing her mother's happy expression, it was obvious that the gift she chose really touched her mother's heart.

"But where do you get the money to buy a hairpin?" Gu's mother had a look of insight. "Didn't you give all your salary to Mu Mu? Is it still Mu Mu who went to buy it?"

Gu Shangqing quickly stood up and bowed to Gu's mother. Before he could speak, Li Mumu said, "Although my husband's salary is all with me, I will definitely give it to him as long as he needs it. Especially if you want to buy a gift for your mother."

"My husband mentioned it to me, and then he went with me to choose for mother." Li Mumu said with a smile.

Gu Shangqing is a fool. He can even apply Sun Tzu's Art of War skillfully, so why does he have to tell the truth in front of Gu's mother?

At a time like this, if I tell the truth, Mother Gu's joy will be reduced.

Gu Shangqing didn't know whether he understood Li Mumu's intention or not. Anyway, he didn't expose Li Mumu's words. Instead, he said, "But I only mentioned buying something for mother. I really have no idea what to buy. It was Mumu who gave me the idea."

Mother Gu smiled happily, "You two are both good children."

Even if Gu Shangqing had the intention, if he met a stingy daughter-in-law who only took in money and never spent, he would not take out money to buy things for his mother-in-law.

"Then I will accept this kind gesture." Mother Gu said, "But you must not spend money like this in the future."

Gu Shangqing smiled and said, "It will be better to honor you when my son's salary increases."

Everyone celebrated New Year's Eve together in the evening. Master Guan, who was alone, also stayed at Gu's house to celebrate the New Year.

In previous years he always celebrated it alone, but this time there were suddenly so many people celebrating it together.

The room was crowded, lively, and the charcoal fire was burning brightly. It looked warm everywhere, and it directly warmed Master Guan's heart.

Gu Xiuxiu was still able to force herself to stay up with everyone to celebrate the New Year.

The two younger ones, Gu Baiyuan and Gu Baijin, could no longer hold on and fell asleep in their mothers' arms.

Li Mumu used to be an expert at staying up late, but after traveling here, her daily routine became very regular.

If you go to bed early at night, you will naturally get up early in the morning.

I can't bear it anymore. My head is nodding and my eyelids are drooping.

When Gu Shangqing saw this, he quietly moved his chair closer to Li Mumu, almost sitting shoulder to shoulder with her.

Li Mumu nodded sleepily, her head slightly tilted towards Gu Shangqing.

Gu Shangqing stretched out his hand to protect the side of Li Mumu's head, and slowly pushed her head onto his shoulder as a pillow.