The Last and First Time

"What do you mean she got bit!" Daryl yelled at Glenn.
"I mean she was shooting and one came up behind her, bit her, took a chunk out of her arm. When she realized she kept shootin 'em until they were all dead."
"So she still alive, and with ya?"
"We brought her back, but she ain't alive."
"What do you mean?"
"Once they were gone she asked for my pistol, the one Rick gave me, said she wasn't going to make any of us do it, and it was too late to save her. I'm sorry man."
"Where is she!"
"Back of the truck." Glenn said teary eyed. For you were his best friend but Daryl.... You loved that redneck with all your heart.

He went running towards the truck, and when he reached it he dropped the crossbow he cherished and climbed in the back. You looked just like you had that morning, your hair was pulled in a ponytail, you were wearing a short sleeve Harley shirt, he saw your sweatshirt was now tied to your waist and your ripped jeans and combat boots where splattered with blood. He could see though the differences, like the bloody gash on your left arm, and the bullet hole in your temple.

At the sight of you he started to tear up, and he just dropped his head, you were always strong, hell you took out a small heard by yourself before he took you back to the prison. you were the love of his life and suddenly you were just gone. His hand was entangled in yours but it wasn't the same, the normally warm hand that would squeeze his was now cold and limp. After a while though he heard someone hit the side of the truck.

"I got the hole dug, we just need her, Maggie is making the cross as we speak and Carl even picked some flowers for the grave." Glenn said, causing Daryl's head to slowly lift.

"I gotta do something before we put her in." He said scooping you up in his arms and carrying you to the house you both shared.

"What's that?" He asked pointing at the golden locket you had laying on the dresser in your cell.

"Oh that, my mother gave it to me before she died. It has her picture in it and she had the words, "Look towards the stars and I'll be there" engraved on both sides."

"Why don't you wear it?"

"Well I'm terrified to lose it. I only wear it for special occasions."

"Well none of those are happenin anytime soon sweetheart."

"Well you never know."

He clasped the necklace around your neck before carrying you from the bedroom to the hole Glenn had dug behind it. Maggie stood by Glenn holding the cross, and Daryl could do was slowly lower you in the hole, as the tears started to form, with ever shovel full of dirt that Glenn threw on you made Daryl think....

last night was the good night you two share

Last week was the last time you two would have had sex

This morning was the last morning he would kiss you

This morning was the last time he would say I love you

Last month was the last time you would talk about getting married

Last week was the last time you would talk about possibly having kids

Last night was the last night he would see you reading

On monday was the last time he would see you hunt with your crossbow

the other morning would be the last time he would eat your amazing scrambled eggs

This morning was the last time he would see you alive

This moment was the first time he would see your grave

and this moment was the moment he would drink away his pain