Chapter 42

The next morning, Amelia was up at five in the morning. She opened her eyes, squinting at the newly risen sun. She rubbed her eyes before looking down at the man lying next to her. Arthur was peacefully asleep, snoring softly. Amelia carefully lifted herself up and climbed over him.

She crouched down over her chest of guns and grabbed her gun belt. She then picked up her two Semi Automatics and her Bolt Action Rifle before grabbing her boots and slowly creeping out of the room. She clipped on her gun belt and placed her pistols in their holsters. She slipped on her boots and started making her way downstairs.

She stepped over Uncle and headed towards the front doors. She headed down the steps and out towards the horses. Amelia looked around as she made her way to Legacy. She smiled as she reached her hand up, rubbing his forehead. She pulled a sugar cube from her satchel and held it in front of him. She ran her fingers through his mane as he ate it.

"How is he?"

Amelia turned as she saw John walking towards her. She smiled as she turned back.

"He's good," she rubbed his forehead, "at least I think so." She brushed the hair away from his eyes. "How's Old Boy doin?"

John shrugged. "Alright, I guess," he patted his neck, "all this moving can't be good on him."

Amelia hummed. "Horses are stressed."

"They could use a break from all this bullshit Dutch is pulling on us."

Amelia hummed again, agreeing with him. She stroked the white spot on Legacy's forehead, cooing him. He whinnied and pushed his head into her hand. She smiled and looked over at John.

"I reckon Arthur won't be up for a couple hours," she began, walking over to him, "you wanna head out? Maybe go huntin for Mr. Pearson?"

John looked down at her, shocked about her question. "You want to go hunting with me?"

She nodded. "Yeah," she paused, "if you want to."

John shook his head with a chuckle. "Sure, why not?"

Amelia smiled and made her way to Legacy. She picked up her saddle from the hitching post and threw it over his back, tightening the straps underneath. Once she was satisfied, she slid her foot into the stirrup and threw her other leg over, hoisting herself up with the horn.

She heard John snicker as she situated herself. She raised her eyebrow. "What?"

"The fact that you can climb up on that big ass horse amazes me."

She chuckled. "Shut the hell up."

———————————————————————————

Amelia led John to a good hunting spot in the Heartlands, just past Dewberry Creek. It was around ten in the morning as they spotted several deer and pronghorns. Amelia grabbed her bow and an arrow and crouched as she neared a deer grazing. She raised the bow and drew the arrow back to her cheek before releasing, firing an arrow through the deers head.

John hummed as she stood, walking over to the carcass of the dead animal. She stepped on the animals head and pulled out her arrow. She wiped it off with a cloth and looked up at John.

"We should try for another one. Maybe a pronghorn this time," she whistled for Legacy, "if you do that, I'll hunt down a few rabbits." Amelia handed him her bow.

"Sure," he took the bow and went to Old Boy. He grabbed two arrows from his saddle and crouched. Amelia watched him for a moment until he disappeared from her sight. She grabbed her Varmint Rifle from Legacy's saddle and began looking around the area.