Chapter 62

Sadie watched as Amelia walked inside the general store. She looked down at Nicholas, who looked up at Amberley and Bob. Amberley leaned her neck down to Nick's level so he could pet her and she whinnied in approvement when he did. Sadie let out a sigh as she thought of what to say to the young boy. She was never really good with kids.

"Nick," she said softly, "who do you like more? Amberley or Duke?" She leaned down.

"I like Duke," he giggled, "he's big and strong like daddy."

"Well what about Amberley? She's big and strong too."

"I like Amberley too. She's pretty."

"Okay," Sadie sat down on the steps of the train station, patting the step beside her. Nicholas came over and sat next to his Aunt Sadie. "If you had to pick any horse to raise, what breed would it be? I know your Pa has been talking about raising horses."

"Momma likes Gypsy Cobs," he leaned on his knees, "and daddy likes Shires."

"Those are just their breeds of horses they have right now, buddy." Sadie replied. "Doesn't mean those are the breeds they want to raise."

"I don't know any other breeds." He looked up at her.

Sadie chuckled and reached into her satchel. She pulled out a bunch of picture cards with horses and handed them to him. "These are breeds of horses. Look at these, and pick out your favorites."

Nicholas looked down at them for a couple minutes before handing Sadie a card with a Dutch Warmblood and one with a Missouri Fox Trotter. He smiled up at her. "I like these two."

"Good choices, bud." She smiled. "These are good strong horses."

"Well, look at what we have here."

Sadie looked up at the familiar voice. Standing in front of her and Nicholas was Dutch with Micah at his side. They looked the same as what they did when she left. She stood quickly, blocking Nicholas from their view. Dutch chuckled as he looked over at Micah.

"Who was that?" Dutch said, peeking behind Sadie. "Your boy?"

"It ain't any of your concern." She hissed.

"Kind of looks like Morgan." Micah laughed.

"Yeah," Dutch looked over at Micah then back to Sadie, "you're right. You and Arthur?"

Sadie scowled. "No, not me and him." She looked down at the young boy but then back up and Dutch and Micah. "I'd suggest you two get the hell out of here, and leave me and the boy alone."

"We would do that," Micah began, "but we got a bone to pick with you guys. Heard someone that sounded like Arthur and Amelia staying up this way."

"Fuck off." Sadie growled. "Or I'll get the Sheriff on you two."

"Well," Dutch chuckled, "we can't have that."

In one motion, Micah lunged forward and thrusted a hunting knife into Sadie's side. She screamed out, bending over to pull the knife out and Micah chuckled. Dutch sidestepped her and grabbed a crying Nicholas before heading up the hill, shooting at people who tried to protect the younger boy from the two men. Amelia heard the commotion of gunshots and screams and came out of the general store.

———————————————————————————

Amelia and Charles headed out to where they ran off to in Strawberry. Amelia was getting more anxious by the minute. Charles didn't get upset when she would get cocky. He couldn't really blame her, seeing as her son was missing.