Chapter 72

Amelia and Arthur were packing everything on the horses. It was early in the morning, and Amelia had recommended stopping for the night before dark. It had been three weeks since Nick broke his arm and he was finally out of the makeshift sling. Jane and Joseph were ready to go home, having learned everything there is to know about horses. Joseph finally bonded with Scarlett and got the hang of handling her temper. Jane and Hawk were inseparable. Erika carried out the last of the treats and tied them to the back of Dove before walking around and patting her forehead.

"Alright," Arthur clapped his hands as he walked down the porch, "we ready to go?"

"I think so," Nick walked around to Bourbon, "Erika brought we the last of the treats for the horses out. I got the food strapped to Bourbon. Clothes are packed between Sapphire, Hawk, and Cowboy."

"Weapons?" Amelia asked, walking around.

"Stacked up with ammo on Cowboy and Dove." Erika said with a smile.

"Good," Amelia drew up her Lancaster Repeater and Evan's Repeater. She walked over to Erika and handed her the Evan's Repeater. "Don't draw it up unless you need to."

"Yes, Ma." She took it and walked over to Sapphire, slipping it in her saddle.

"Same with you." Amelia handed Nick the Lancaster Repeater.

"Understood."

Arthur got out his Varmit Rifle and Springfield Rifle. "You two know how to use a gun?" He asked the twins.

They both nodded.

"Momma taught us when we were thirteen." Jane replied.

"Can you handle rifles?"

They both nodded.

"Good." He gave the Varmit Rifle to Jane and his Springfield to Joseph. "Same rules with our kids. Don't draw it up unless you need to."

"We understand, Mr. Morgan." Joseph said as he slipped the rifle in his saddle. Jane followed her brother's lead.

"Alright," Amelia climbed up on Cowboy, "mount up. Let's make some dirt."

Joseph helped Jane up on Hawk and then climbed up on Scarlett himself. Erika climbed up onto Sapphire and Nick followed up on Bourbon. Arthur was the last one on Dove and they all headed down the drive.

"Amelia, I want you in front," Arthur said as they got on the main road, "I'll cover back. Jane and Nick, behind Amelia, Joseph and Erika, in front of me. Keep your eyes open as we travel through. We'll stop at MacFarlane's Ranch to rest for the night and continue on in the morning. I want everyone's eyes sharp as we go through Tall Trees and Cholla Springs. They're littered with Skinners and Del Lobos."

They all nodded and got into position. They began the long journey to Ridgewood Farm. Once they had crossed the river, Arthur instructed everyone to come off to the side of the road. They all followed.

"Alright, listen," he began, "I want everybody's weapons up and cocked into place. We're goin through Tall Trees past Manzanita Post which is where we'll find Skinners. They're mean bastards who will attack without a care in the world. I want all of you ready. Get those weapons up."

They all followed and brought up the weapons from their saddles. Amelia drew up both of her Semi Automatic Pistols and loaded them. After they were ready, they began pushing on to the trees. They rode past Beecher's Hope, seeing Charles out scouting near the house. He didn't see any of them as they rode past. Just as they rode into Manzanita Post, they heard yelling coming from the trees.

"Shit," Amelia mumbled, "Skinners."

"Quick!" Someone yelled from the porch of the train station, "get in here!"