Chapter 64

"Oh, Nick," Arthur hugged him tightly, tears threatening to leave his eyes. "I thought we lost you."

Amelia climbed out of the back of the wagon with Charles's help as Hosea climbed down as well. She walked over to Arthur as he lifted Nick. She smiled and rubbed his arm.

"I told you I'd come back with him." She said with a bright smile.

"Thank god you're okay too." Arthur pulled her in and kissed the top of her head.

"Daddy, we're fine." Nicholas said as he reached down for Amelia.

"Yes we are." Amelia said as she took him from his father's arms. "You were very brave, honey."

"Micah," Arthur started, "is he gone?"

Amelia nodded. "Dutch too." She shifted Nicholas to her other hip. "It seems I was feeling real trigger happy." She said with a chuckle.

Arthur let out a breath and ran his hand through his hair. "I can't believe-"

"I know," Amelia looked up at him, "but it's done now. No need to keep reliving it."

Arthur let out a sigh and pulled Amelia in. "I'm just glad you're safe."

———————————————————————————

Fourteen years later

"Easy, Nick," Arthur said, watching his son like a hawk, "just go nice and slow."

Nick and Erika were learning how to ride the horses. Amelia and Arthur began raising horses and breaking them in before selling them. They had Gypsy Cobs, Dutch Warmbloods, Thoroughbreds, Andalusians, Missouri Fox Trotters, and Tennessee Walkers.

Nick, who was now seventeen, looked like his father more and more everyday. However, he had blonde hair, a muscular build, and a temper just like his mother. He had her bright blue eyes, and his attitude was more like her. Erika, who was sixteen, looked like her mother, but with sandy brown hair, and an hourglass figure. She also had her fathers dark blue sapphire eyes, and her fathers calmness.

Nick had picked his own horse, as did Erika. Nick picked out a Male Sooty Buckskin Dutch Warmblood, who he named Bourbon. Erika picked out a Female Blue Roan Missouri Fox Trotter, who she named Sapphire. Amberley and Duke had passed away when the kids were ten and eleven. Arthur decided to get a Female Iron Grey Ardennes, who he named Dove. Amelia got another Gypsy Cob, her favorite horse breed. It was a Male Splashed Bay who she named Cowboy.

"Pa, when can I go faster?" Nick looked down at his father. "Bourbon is ready, and so am I."

"You ain't ready just yet." Arthur replied. "You gotta take it nice and slow with your first horse, alright?" He looked over as Erika steered Sapphire to the corral. He looked back over to Nick as Erika dismounted and took off Sapphire's saddle.

"But slow is boring." He groaned.

"Yeah, I know," Arthur chuckled, "but it'll get fun after a little while."

"But-"

"Listen to your father." Amelia walked towards them. She reached up to kiss Arthur on the cheek before heading to the barn. She led Cowboy out and climbed up. She trotted over to Nick with Bourbon and slowed the stallion to a trot. "Come on," she began, "I reckon just a little bit more won't hurt."

Arthur shook his head as his wife took over the lesson with their son. He chuckled and walked over to the corral, where Erika was brushing out Sapphire's coat. He leaned on the fence, watching his daughter as she cared for her horse.