Chapter 107

Nick came out of his room with his empty dishes and put them in the sink. He was dressed in regular jeans, a white button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled to his elbows, his brown boots, and his hat. He finished his cup of coffee and put it in the sink before turning around and leaning against the counter.

"When is everyone coming?" He asked, crossing his arms across his chest and feet at the ankles.

"In a couple hours." Amelia replied, getting some streamers from a chest. "You sit in here and relax while me and your father finish the decorations."

"Can I help?" He asked.

"It's your birthday-"

"Momma," Nick began, "my birthday comes every year. I'm only turning eighteen, which isn't that big of a deal. I'm still technically in my teen years. And I wanna help, please."

Amelia let out a sigh before smiling. "Alright, fine." She said with a chuckle.

Nick grinned and quickly made his way towards the back door. Arthur was already outside, nailing balloons to the house. Amelia followed behind him. Erika was inside cooking food, seeing as she loved to cook. Nick would joke around with her, saying she would make the perfect housewife. Usually ended with her smacking him, however.

Arthur looked down at his son from the ladder. "The hell you doin out here?"

"Momma said I could help decorate."

"Amelia." Arthur looked over at her.

"He wanted to help," she said as she raised her hands in surrender, "I ain't gonna tell him no on his birthday. You know my rule."

At some point when Amelia was pregnant with Nick, she had explained to Arthur that a rule she decided was that she wasn't going to tell their child no on their birthday unless it was completely ridiculous. He thought that kind of rule was ridiculous. But he wasn't going to argue with her.

"That's your rule, not mine." Arthur looked back over at Nick. "Back inside."

"Pa-"

"I ain't gonna make you work on your birthday, back inside boy." He pointed the hammer towards the back door.

"I am an adult, so no." Nick argued.

"If you still live under my roof, you live by my rules. And what I say. Back inside now." Arthur was getting frustrated.

"Let the man help."

Amelia turned around and saw Abigail standing in the doorway of the back door. She was holding a present in her hand. She smiled as she held it up.

"Hey," Amelia laughed and walked up the steps. She gave her a hug. "You're early."

"Thought I'd come by to help my niece cook."

"Ew." Nick faked a gag, causing Abigail to scoff and throw a stick at him.

"Can't hit me on my birthday!" Nick said defensively.

"Like hell I can't!" Abigail retorted. "I will still bend you over my knee, Mister Morgan."

Nick stuck his tongue out at his Aunt and she shook her head with a laugh. She then looked back at Amelia. "Where should I put this?"

"By the fireplace is fine," she looked past her inside, "where's John?"

"Pestering your daughter."

Amelia laughed. "Like usual."

She heard a glass break inside and stared at Abigail for a moment before pushing past her inside the house towards the kitchen. There, she saw Erika picking up broken pieces of a plate.