Chapter 108

Arthur walked outside the barn with Abigail next to him. He shut the barn doors after she walked out and began making his way up towards where everyone else was standing and talking. The rest of the gang members had just arrived along with Irina and Richard. Amelia was surprised her parents didn't show up. Arthur never told her about the letter, nor does he plan to.

Amelia looked away from Karen as she saw her husband walk up with her sister. She shooed her off before walking over to the side with him.

"Are we done arguing?" She asked softly.

Arthur inhaled through his nose before nodding. "Yeah," he replied, "you were right. I am a stubborn mule sometimes."

Amelia smiled. "I know. We've been married for thirteen years."

Arthur chuckled. "Come on, we got a birthday to celebrate."

——————————————————————————

"You ever gonna go bounty hunting again?" Sadie asked, leaning against the fence post as Amelia and her smoked a cigarette.

Amelia had nearly choked on the smoke she had just inhaled. She coughed for a few moments before shaking her head.

"No," she said hoarsely, "not happening."

"Is it because when you got arrested?"

"That," she cleared her throat, "and because Erika already went after a bounty and nearly died. That's not setting a good example, now is it?"

"I'm pretty sure she's learned her lesson by now." Sadie laughed.

"You don't know that." Amelia threw down her cigarette. "She's already been pressing about still learning to use a gun."

"And you haven't taught her yet?"

"Have you not met my impatient, irresponsible daughter?" Amelia said with a laugh.

"Fair enough." Sadie threw down her cigarette as Amelia began walking back up to the group. "How about I teach her?"

"And reward her for nearly dying?" Amelia looked at her. "I don't think so."

"Amelia," Sadie grabbed her arm and pulled her back, "she's turning seventeen in a couple months. She's gotta learn at some point. Let me or John teach her. Or hell, even Charles."

Amelia ran a hand through her hair. "Let me talk with Arthur about it first."

"I'll take that instead of a no." She said a laugh.

Amelia hummed as she approached the bustling group of old gang members, whom she considered her brothers and sisters. Since she had no siblings growing up, the old Van Der Linde gang was the next best thing to her. After all, they did help her in raising her and Arthur's kids.

Abigail came outside with a cake in her hands and Erika quickly tailing behind her with eighteen candles stuffed in her hands. Abigail placed the cake on the table in the backyard. Nick's eyes widened as he sat down in front of the cake. He went to touch it, but was quickly met with a slap from his Aunt on his fingers.

"No touching." She scolded as she arranged the candles.

"But it's my cake!" Nick argued.

"And you can wait until it's cut."

Nick huffed and watched as Abigail finished putting the candles in an arrangement she liked. Arthur then struck a match on the bottom of his boot and lit each one carefully.  Once he was finished, he shook out the match and threw it to the ground.