Episode 90: The Art of Pokemon

Mew and her friends continue traveling closer to Olivine City, and the next Johto Region. But today, their route leads them to a place known as Whitestone as they travel across the mountain area

Looking at the guidebook, Brock says, "It says here in the guide book that Whitestone is one of the most historic sites in the whole Johto region."

Mew looks ahead, "Well, there it is, guys!"

Everyone looks ahead to see Whitestone, which is a place that has buildings made of white stone structures.

"It's beautiful," Misty says.

"I can see why they call it Whitestone," Jen says.

"Yep. Whitestone sure lives up to its name," Brock says.

Unknown to the group, Team Rocket spies from behind.

"So, it seems they're headed for Whitestone," Jessie says as she uses her binoculars to zoom into the location, "It certainly is beautiful."

"It looks like all of dem buildings is made out of marble. Dat's ritzy!" Meowth says.

"I just adore marble! I love everything made of it! I love marble bathtubs, marble tables, marble statues!" Jessie says and lets out a sign as she fantasizes, "Everything!"

"I never understood why grandpa-pa's mansion was made of marble, it was like a mausoleum with lots of bedrooms and bathrooms," James says, and jokes, "Maybe they use marble because it's...marbleous!"

Jessie and Meowth both smack James, "Bad joke, James."

Sorry," James apologizes.

Meanwhile, Mew and her friends make their way through the city.

"Whitestone appears to be made of marble, but it's not. Centuries ago, the townspeople decided to paint the town white. And succeeding generations have continued the tradition. I guess paint's a lot cheaper than marble is, huh?" Brock says.

"Well, even if it's not real marble, it's really pretty," Misty says.

Suddenly, someone shouts, "Hey!"

Everyone raises their heads and when they look forward, they see a woman yelling at some Pokemon who are vandalizing her house by painting it with their tails.

Each of them is a bipedal, beagle-like Pokémon with white and brown fur. It has a long tail with an end resembling a paintbrush. This paintbrush oozes with paint, and the color of the paint may vary for each, as well as change in hue corresponding to its emotions. Sprites from the games depict green, brown, and red, while the anime also shows yellow and blue. They have a footprint on its back that is the same color as the tip of the tail. They also have a round structure on its head with a point that resembles a beret. It has floppy, brown ears and a brown collar on its neck. The rings encircling their eyes are also brown, as are their eyelids. Its arms have two brown bands, and its legs have only one. Each of its limbs has three digits.

Someone shouts, "What are you doing to my nice, white wall?!"

"That's weird," Misty says.

"Those are some strange graffiti artists," Brock says.

"What are they?" Jen asks.

"Those are Smeargles," Mew says, and takes out her Pokedex.

Dexter says, "Smeargle, the Painter Pokemon. A Normal Type. Colored fluids ooze from their tails, which they use to mark their territory and to express themselves.

"Those troublemakers! Let's go get em!" Someone snouts.

Soon, the townspeople form an angry mob and chase after the Smeargle, who hide behind Mew and the others.