161: Just a Normal Training Session at the Hawks Agency

Lunch goes by without any interruptions, and patrol is about as eventful. Hawks doesn't even land as he deals with the issues, let alone stop talking. He uses the patrol to continue teaching you the materials you missed in class, and he has you holding on to one of his free feathers as a handhold while you keep yourself in the air with your ice board.

“How am I supposed to test out my new fighting skills if I can't get to any villains?” You ask.

“Gotta get faster, Penguin.” Hawks says as he delivers a dropped wallet back into the owner's hands with a feather. He moved more to smile and wave at them than he did for any of the villains.

“I'm getting the hang of this flying thing at least... Then I'll be faster!” You say.

The hours pass by, and the only thing you've done is smile and wave at Hawks' fans. Every attempt you made to help, Hawks was already ten steps ahead of you in dealing with it, and would meanwhile be fixing his hair or yawning. Eventually, the two of you eat dinner and head back to the agency for the night.

“Alright, you're all done for the night, Penguin. You're free to go relax.” Hawks waves at you. “I'm gonna sneak off for a bit, so stay out of trouble and go lay down in your room.”

“Okay...” You wave, frustrated by how useless your presence was on patrol. The elevator takes you down from the roof as Hawks flies off, and you drop your helmet down on your desk once in your room. The sun is going down outside, and you sigh as you flop down on the couch. Your leg bounces, and you can't help but poke at the scarring on your hands. After a few minutes, you stand back up and grab a change of workout clothes.

No one else is in the training rooms when you get there, and you slip your headphones on. A punching bag is calling your name, and you stretch before walking over to it. You train with it for a while, using your Serpent's Bite as well. The sun has finished setting by the time you take a break and step away from it. The fridge is across the room from you, and as you walk towards it, you suddenly feel an extra large mass of water coming at you extremely fast.

What the hell...? But that's coming from the win–

Glass flies towards you as you turn around to look, and you're just barely able to throw up a wall of ice to block the pieces of the window. A single shard makes it past, slicing your cheek and shattering against the ground. “What the hell?!”

You shift some of the ice back into Serpent's Bite, and ready for another attack as you yank your headphones off and throw them to the side. The figure you sensed stumbles to their feet from the glass, covered in cuts and bleeding everywhere.

“Who the hell are you? You made a big mistake, this is the Number Two’s hero agency!” You step towards them, glass crunching under your sneakers. Their head snaps up unnaturally to look at you, and you gasp as their wounds heal. “Shit...! A Nomu!”

Your phone is across the room plugged into the wall. Shit, they must have known Hawks was gone! I have to deal with this before it causes any more damage...! Not leaving you any time to run for your phone, the Nomu slams forward. Its hand unfurls and grabs at your wrist painfully, but not enough to break it. Serpent’s Bite slams into its head, but it reacts like they're just flies. A well placed blast of ice from your wrist under its hand allows you to slip from its grip, and you step back. Come on...!! The sidekicks have to have heard the impact. I just need to bide some time...!

“Hey!! I've got a Nomu in the training room!!” You shout as loud as you can. “I need backup!!!”

The Nomu lunges at you again, this time grabbing your leg. It's so fast, you can hardly register it before it has you dangling in front of its face. Using your other leg, you slam an ice coated kick into its head, and it briefly drops you to the glass covered floor. As you slam Bites into it, it gets more and more irritated.

Snarling, the Nomu slams a fist into your side, and you avoid broken ribs by yanking yourself over with ice. Still, it hurts, and you stumble across the ground. The Nomu takes advantage of your pain and drags you towards the window. Crude wings unfurl, and it leaps from the building with your arm tightly gripped.

The door to the training room slams open, and Hawks' sidekicks rush in, but the Nomu is already airborne and carrying you away.

“Hydra!!! Shit, why isn't Hawks answering his phone?!” The first sidekick pockets his phone quickly and readies a blast at the Nomu. The Nomu seems to notice, and it lifts you up as a shield.

“Stop, damn it! You'll hit her!!” Another sidekick stops the first, and you swing in the air as the Nomu flies around the building.

“Don't think I'll be that complacent!!!” You shout, blasting icicles at its wings. They're so warped that the ice slices straight through, and the Nomu releases you. Feeling like you're back in Hosu, you tumble through the air, trying to figure out which way is up. A quick pull yanks the water from the air around you, and you slow your fall just enough to see the ground nearing. Civilians scream and run as the Nomu flies down at you, its wings already healed. Without time to think, you freeze a board of ice under your feet, and stop your fall.

“It's a Nomu!!! Run!!” The civilians shout.

“Everyone, get out of here!!!” You shout. “I'm training under Hawks! I can take care of this! Just get away from the area!!!”

“Where is Hawks?!” Some of them yell.

“He's not here right now!! If you see any heroes nearby, send them my way!” You quickly raise yourself to meet the Nomu, and hit it with a hard blast of ice to keep it away from the ground. “Get out of here, now!!!”

The remaining civilians scatter, and you focus on the Nomu. It doesn't seem to want to kill you, but you can't exactly ask it why. Grappling with it midair is difficult, but thanks to it flying, your balance on your board isn't terrible while you're hitting it. Crap, at this rate I'm going to have to use my palms!!

“Hydra!!” One of Hawks' sidekicks has made it to the ground. “Here!!” You glance at the ground where he is, and he blasts a hydrant open. Water sprays out, and you grin.

“Hell yeah!!!” Yanking the water towards you, you whirl it around the Nomu. “You guys got cocky thinking we'd be an easy target without Hawks here!!!” You shout at the Nomu and ready your attack. “I've been wanting to use this one!!!”

The Nomu snarls and flies at you, and the sidekicks shout for you to watch out.

“He's the one... Who needs to watch out!!!” You freeze razor sharp icicles out of the whirling water around the Nomu, and slam them into it from all sides. “Eat my ice!!! Piercing Fangs!!! Followed by... Serpent's Bite!!!!” Your moves slam into the Nomu, the first slicing its fragile wings to shreds, and the second locking them to its sides.

The Nomu begins to fall, and Hawks' sidekicks jump out of the way for you. “Give her space!!” The Nomu crashes down, and ice and dust kick up, but you can sense it still moving. “It's not finished yet!”

“Watch out!!” You shout. Gathering the water in the air, you slam a torrent of water and icicles down on top of the Nomu. “Torrential... Downpour!!!!!!”