165: A Blazing Introduction

“Alright!! You ready for your first patrol after your debut?” Hawks grins at you as you meet him on the roof.

“Hell yeah!! I'm raring to go!!” You grin and slip on your helmet. “Where are we starting?”

“We're going to check out the usual heavy traffic morning commutes. There usually isn't too much crime this time of day. Gotta get you seen in your hero costume today, though. We want the public to know who you are.” He says. “How you feeling about flying? You still want a feather to hold on to?”

“That may be good, I was only flying last night because I wasn't paying attention to the ground.” You laugh. “I'm hoping I'll be fine after a little while.”

“No worries,” Hawks detaches a feather, and it floats in front of you. “Let's fly then, Hydra!”

You create a board and clasp the feather, and the two of you fly off towards the morning commuter traffic. “It's so nice out today!”

“Yep! Gorgeous day to be in the sky!” Hawks agrees. The two of you fly high over the city, enjoying the warm sun and bright blue sky. “You hear any chatter on the radio I set up for you?”

Clicking a few buttons on your helmet, you listen in. “No, nothing so far.”

“Normally I'm more than happy to have a lazy day, but I wanna get you something good today. I'll let you do some more, okay?”

“Thanks! But don't slow down too much! I'm feeling quicker after last night!” You grin.

“That's what I like to hear!” The two of you soar for a while longer, keeping an eye out for any issues. Even with the sun shining so bright, there's a decent amount of humidity in the air. With nothing happening downtown, you venture towards the more residential areas. A group of young preschool children are being walked down the sidewalk to a nearby park, and they all wave up at the two of you.

Their teachers smile up at you, and as they do, one of the children catches your eye. “Hawks–”

BOOM!

Instantly, you and Hawks drop down, and he has all of the children and teachers yanked away from the one you noticed. She had suddenly exploded into flames that cover her entire body. As she screams, you tear water from the air.

“I've got her, Hawks!!” You run towards her as the other children begin crying and screaming. Other passersby stop to watch as the scene unfolds. Water coats your arms and body, and you quickly embrace her in a tight hug, trying to extinguish the flames.

“Oh no!!!” The teachers shout and reach for the young girl, but Hawks keeps them back.

“Is this the first time her quirk has appeared?!” Hawks shouts to them.

“Yes! We knew her parents had fire related quirks, but this is unlike either of theirs!!”

“Please help her!!!”

As Hawks tries to keep the rest away and clear space for you, you keep hugging the girl, coating her in water. “Shh, shh... It's okay, I promise. Are you hurting?” You hold her tight, and wash the flames with water. They disappear momentarily, but quickly reappear as soon as the water moves on.

The girl manages to shake her head, but she's crying and screaming so hard that she can't get any words out. There don't appear to be any burns forming on her skin, and her hair and clothes aren't burning either. She sobs for her parents and you call for Hawks.

“She wants her parents! Do her teachers know where they work?”

“Her father works a few blocks away!!” One of the teachers quickly tells Hawks where to find him, and he flies off.