162: World Meets Girl

As the water and ice connect, you freeze the Nomu in place and pant heavily in the air.

“Did she get it?!” The first sidekick shouts.

“She did it!!”

“Hell yeah!!!” You shout in excitement. Civilians nearby who were watching erupt into cheers, and you wave happily to them. “Is everyone okay??”

“Hydra!!!!” You turn around as you hear your name being called, and Hawks flies at you. “I'm here!!!”

“Too slow, Hawks! She’s already dealt with it!” His sidekicks laugh. “I'd say she's had a pretty great debut while you were busy!”

“Huh...” Hawks' worry turns to relief and pride as he watches. “Hey! You're flying!”

“Ah!” You remember you're airborne and look down at the ground. Queasiness washes over you, and you quickly lower yourself down. “Jeez, that's not what I had in mind when I went to the training room for another workout...!”

Hawks lands next to you and pats your back. “You did good out there, Penguin.” He turns to look at the civilians and reporters trying to get closer. “Hey everyone! Did you see that? My new student just took down a Nomu all by herself, and she wasn't even in costume for it!!!” He waves excitedly.

“That's the girl who helped shut down that bar!” Someone says. Several people shout to you, with several asking for your hero name.

With a giant grin on your face, you wave at them and the cameras. “You can call me Hydra!!!!”

Hawks grins alongside you, but you can tell he's not in a good mood. He wraps an arm around you as he smiles for the crowd and whispers to you through his teeth. “Was it targeting you?”

“How'd you know?” You ask. Hawks has a dark look in his eyes, but he quickly covers it with a grin.

“Don't mention that when they interview you.” He says quietly through his smile. The police arrive, and you thaw the Nomu for them to load it into an iron maiden.

“It wasn't as strong as the one from USJ. It was stronger than the ones in Hosu, though.” You tell Hawks, copying his demeanor, so the crowd can't tell what you're talking about. “But it was definitely trying to take me away alive.”

“Hmm...” Hawks is interrupted as reporters rush forward. “Uh oh, looks like they're ready for you. This is probably live, so watch what you say.”

“Hawks!! Tell us about your new sidekick, Hydra!!” The reporter shoves a microphone forward, and the camera points at you and Hawks.

“Oh, I'm not his sidekick... I'm still a student.” You smile. “It's a pleasure to meet you! I just wish I was in my costume for this...!” You laugh.

“Yes, Hydra here is a first year student at UA! You can call her Hydra: The Ever Enduring Hero! I don't know what they're teaching those kids over at UA, but whatever it is, it's working!!” Hawks grins. “If this is how crazy strong she is right now, she may be taking my place on the charts by the time she graduates!!”

You laugh at Hawks' comment. “All of the teachers at UA are wonderful, especially my homeroom teacher, Eraserhead! He's the reason I was able to get strong enough to get my provisional license! And Hawks has been teaching me a bunch these past two days here at his agency.”

“Hawks, where were you during the attack on your agency?” The reporter asks.

“Unfortunately, I was out following a lead on another case. Thankfully, though, my student here doesn't know how to rest and was training when the Nomu attacked! She was first on the scene and handled it excellently!” Hawks praises you.

“Yes! What a wonderful debut! To everyone watching at home, we'll be airing the livestream of her fight against the Nomu soon for you to watch in case you missed it!” The reporter tells the camera. “Hydra, you're the one who scored first place in the UA entrance exam for the hero course, aren't you? And you placed third in the sports festival?”

“Oh, yes...!” You laugh awkwardly. “I've grown a lot since the entrance exam and sports festival! I hope I can keep growing into a hero you can all be proud of!”

“Now, what was it like almost being kidnapped by the League of Villains? Do you think this was another attempt to capture you?” The reporter suddenly asks as she listens to her earpiece.

“Oh, uh...”

“Please, let's not put a damper on the good mood!” Hawks saves you. “There's no indication that she was the target. Afterall, it crashed into my gym. The most likely situation right now is that it was an attempt to take advantage of my absence. Thanks to my rookie here, their plans were foiled!”

“Do you think it was the League of Villains who planned the attack?”

“Well, we've only ever seen Nomu in connection with the League. I can't say anything for certain at the moment, but my agency and the police will do a thorough investigation.” Hawks smiles, and the reporter can tell he's ready to end the interview, but you wouldn't guess watching him.

“Thank you for your time! Hydra, is there anything you have to say to your new fans and those watching?” She holds the microphone in front of you.

“Uh... Stay hydrated, and make sure you drink lots of water!” You say. Hawks holds back a laugh, and you internally scream at your awkward comment.

The reporter takes it seriously, and the camera turns away from you to point at her. “You heard Hydra, folks!! Don't get dehydrated and drink lots of water! Even though fall is coming, you want to keep up the water intake!”

“We'll have to work on your media responses.” Hawks snickers quietly beside you. He quickly steps back into frame and rests a hand on the reporter’s shoulder as he leans in towards the camera. “By the way, if any of you are interested in keeping up to date with Hydra, you can find her online with the handle Hydra!! Just look at my following if you can't find her.” He grins into the camera.

“There you go! Can we get that on the screen? Hydra, H-Y-D-R-A! Perfect!!”

Hawks waves goodbye to the camera and joins you. “There we go!”

“Wait, was that handle really free?” You ask. “No one had it already?”

“Oh, someone had it, but don't worry, it's all yours now!” Hawks smiles.

“Thank you!”

“My manager will be controlling the account, but anything you want to post just send to me, and I'll send it their way to get approved.” Hawks takes out his own phone and opens the camera. “Give me a smile, you'll need a first post!” Excited from your successful debut, you give his phone a giant grin, and Hawks snaps a photo of the two of you. “Great!! That's going on my story!”