167: Vrooming Vans

“Got you!!!”

As suddenly as the explosion occurred, you manage to yank Hawks away with your hand, and you blast a wall of ice to stop the explosion from hitting the two of you.

“Holy crap!! You saved my butt!!” Hawks says. “What is going on with all of this fire today?!”

“I don't know, but I'm glad I'm here with you!” You shout over the roaring flames. Your ice begins to melt from the heat of the fire, and you look towards the civilians.

“I've got them! Can you put the fire out?” Hawks asks.

“Water won't be any use! I'll just make it worse! We need a Class B extinguisher for this! Foam, CO2, or powder!” Firetamer's lessons come back to you.

“What about your ice?”

“Smothering it will work, but I have to be careful. Get everyone back, I need to focus. If I'm not quick enough to freeze it, I may cause another burst of fire!” You tell Hawks.

He nods and shouts for everyone to get back. The cars pull away, and the pedestrians hurry farther from the bridge. “You sure you're up to this, Hydra?”

You nod and step down on to the bridge. “You may want to back up, too, Hawks.”

“No. I'm staying right next to you just in case.” He lands on the ground beside you. “You've got this.”

“I sure hope so...” Taking a deep breath, you pull water from the river below, making sure there's nothing in it. Once you're certain it's fish free, you encircle the truck, taking care not to touch it yet. “Here it goes...!” Turning it all to ice, you coat the truck all at once. There's a small blast from the last spot to be covered, but you quickly put it out. “Did I get it...?”

“Great job, Hydra!!” Hawks pats you on the back. “One of the pedestrians already called for firefighters, so maybe we'll see Maki's dad again already.”

“I'm going to freeze more of the bridge in place until then. It feels a bit unsteady still.” Leaning over the edge, you freeze more supports for the cracked bridge. “That should hold it for now. At least it's just the truck on the bridge.”

Hawks nods. A few people shout thank yous and congratulations to you, and you wave at them. Soon enough, a firetruck and a response team come to take over. Maki's father isn't among them, but they're from the same squadron and thank you. They have you leave the rest to them, and you and Hawks take off once more.

Patrol goes by uneventfully for the next few hours, and after a quick lunch break, you're back to it. The afternoon goes similarly, and you and Hawks find yourselves resting on a rooftop downtown discussing dinner.

“Attention! There's been a burglary at the bank downtown!!” The radio in your helmet says. “Requesting immediate assistance! Villains are fleeing the scene in separate directions!”

You and Hawks immediately jump to your feet and listen to the request. “Seriously? It's still light out!” You say. “Talk about bold!”

“I'm on my way with my student. Give me descriptions.” Hawks says over his radio. The two of you leap from the building and fly in the direction of the villains. “What do you say, Hydra? Wanna take one and I'll take the other?”

“Obviously!” You grin at him as you fly.

“Good! You've gotten the hang of flying, so you'll do great. We're almost in the area, they should be... Ah! Right there! You take this one, I'll get the other!” Hawks flies off towards the farther vehicle. Both are heavily armoured trucks going in opposite directions that are going to be difficult to take down.