Chapter 37: Midoriya vs Todoroki

"Both of these competitors have won top spots in the festival so far! But, only one of these greats can move on!! Who will come out on top? It's Todoroki Shoto versus Midoriya Izuku!!!!"

A thundering cheer comes from the crowd. Excitement fills you as the two boys take the stage.

"This is going to be a crazy fight!" You say.

"Are you ready?! I know I am, so let's get this thing going!! Begin!!!"

Immediately, Todoroki sends ice racing towards Midoriya, who swiftly counters.

The smash sends the ice flying, and a cold wind hits you.

"Man, that's cold!" Kaminari shivers.

"Midoriya smashed through the ice!" Present Mic says.

They repeat the blast of ice and smashing counter twice more before Kirishima appears.

"Aw man, I missed the beginning!"

"Congrats on the win, Kirishima!" You say.

Kaminari waves him over, and Kirshima sits next to Sero.

"Thanks! Looks like I'm up against you next, Bakugou!"

"I'll kill you."

"I'd like to see you try! But man, you, Todoroki, and Y/n... You can fire off as many of those big flashy attacks as you want..."

"As many as we want? Don't be an idiot."

"Huh?" Kirishima and Sero give him a confused look.

"Strain your muscles and you'll tear them. Run too much and you'll be out of breath. Quirks are physical abilities, too. Even this guy's got to have some kind of limit."

"I guess you're right."

"For me, the amount of water I can output depends on how much I have in my body. Obviously the amount isn't equal, but I need to be really hydrated if I'm generating a bunch. If I use up all of my water, my quirk starts to draw from my body, which can be really bad. It's only happened a few times when I was still getting used to my quirk or being rash. It's like getting dehydrated, but the really really bad kind."

"I didn't think about it that way..."

"Guess it makes sense why you're always drinking so much water then." Sero says.

"Todoroki, undaunted by Midoriya's power moves to close in on him!"

The two continue their attacks, neither managing to do much to the other.

Midoriya shouts something at Todoroki, and the two boys charge at each other. As they close in, Midoriya punches Todoroki and sends him flying.

"He landed a solid hit!" You say.

"Yeah, but Midoriya's the one who looks like he can barely stand." Sero says. It was true. Midoriya's hands were covered in blood and bruises. His fingers hung at unnatural angles, and the blood dripped off of them steadily.

"His quirk is terrifying...!" Kaminari says.

"It's crazy that he can put himself through all that. I don't know if I'd be able to handle it..." Kirishima says.

Suddenly, Todoroki bursts into flames.

"He used his left side...!" Kaminari says.

"Woah!!" You exclaim.

"Shoto!!!!!" A voice exclaims. Over on the other side of the stands, Endeavor heads to the inner edge. "So you've finally accepted it!! Yes! Excellent! It all starts now for you!! With my blood pumping through your veins you will surpass me! You will fulfill my ambitions!!!!"

"What a weird thing to say..." You say.

"A sudden pep talk from Endeavor, huh? What a doting parent..."

You can't help but grasp the fabric of your pants in worry as the two boys run at each other. Cementoss and Midnight seem to be worried as well. The two teachers race towards the center stage, Midnight tearing her sleeve off to release her quirk, and Cementoss blocking the two.

Their attacks connect with the huge walls of cement, and create a huge explosion.

Your hair blows wildly in the sudden wind, and you cover your face to protect it from the debris.

The wind settles, and a cloud of steamy smoke blocks the view of the stage.

You look to your right at Bakugou and can't hold in a laugh upon seeing his blown back hair.

"Huh?! What?" His hair poofsback into its usual style and you laugh once more.

"How does your hair do that?" You laugh.

"What are you talking about??"

"It's always so poofy!"

"Huh? I don't know!"

"It looks pretty soft, too." You say. You reach over and ruffle his hair. "It's super soft! What shampoo do you use?!"

"Let me feel!" Kaminari reaches over, but Bakugou smacks his hand away.

"Quit it!" The boy huffs and turns his face back towards the stage. His eyes widen, and you look to see what caused it.

The cloud had cleared just enough to see the damage. There was debris everywhere, and the cement ground was scorched. On the far wall, Midoriya slumped to the ground. There was an impact mark a few meters above him.

"Midoriya is out of bounds!" Midnight calls as she rises to her feet. The blast had sent her flying off of the stage as well.

"Holy shit!!! Midoriya looks half dead!!" You exclaim.

"Todoroki is in a league of his own!" Kirishima says.

"I'm starting to think he went easy on me...!" Sero says.

"Todoroki will advance to the third round!!"

The crowd roars with excitement. Todoroki looks towards Midoriya's collapsed and crumpled body for a moment before turning away. He melts the remaining ice, and heads inside.

"Well, I'm going to head on down to the prep room now." You say.

"Good luck out there, Y/n!"

"In case I don't see you two before your match, good luck, Bakugou, Kirishima!"

"I'll see you in the next round!" Kirishima smiles.

"No! It's me she'll be fighting! I'm the one who's kicking her ass!"

The four of you laugh at Bakugou's determination, and you head towards the prep room.

You weren't there long before it was announced Iida had beaten Shiozaki. Taking one last drink of water, you take a deep breath, and head outside.

-
-
-

EDIT: five fucking years. for five fucking years I've had it written "Todoroki had beaten Iida" instead of "Iida had beaten Shiozaki." what the fuck man. we're not there yet. god. reread and edit your stories, don't be like me.