Sleep

Warning: Chapter talks about death and an accident.

--- Rooster's Point of View ---

"How can that be, he knows how to fly." She sobbed gently.

I had no idea how to explain this to her, what to say to make it better, I was at a loss.

'Hangman would know how to calm her, he would know what to do.' My brain mocked, sadly this was true.

He hadn't bailed out of the aircraft, not that I could see anyway, and I was flying quite close to him and had my eyes on him when I noticed that his aircraft was in trouble.

And what is worse is that when his aircraft impacted the side of the mountain – it destroyed it, there is nothing left, I was alarmed at how it obliterated the aircraft was.

My heart was shattered into a million pieces, I loved him - he was my brother, we both loved her and in a way I loved him, I loved him deeply and this was breaking my heart.

I had to stay strong, but I knew that when I was alone, this was going to hit me harder than anything has before, but for now, I needed to focus on her completely, so I pushed my despair to the side.

She took a deep inhale of breath that seemed to tremble in her chest. She looked down with her hand on her stomach, and I saw the tears were flowing as she kept swallowing.

My heart broke again, because of their baby – the baby was growing in her.

She looked up at me, she was such a powerful and capable women, so brave and strong - but I at this moment I saw the devastation in her face, I saw her vulnerability.

"I..."

Her voice stammered and she looked down, I watched as she seemed to physically force herself to pull it together.

"I have no idea what I'm going to do, what, I mean..."

"Hey..."

I reached out and grabbed her hands, so soft and small in mine, I leaned forward and pressed my forehead against hers.

"Take a deep breath."

She did as I asked, and after a moment I let go of her hands and cupped her cheeks and made her look at me.

"I'm going to take care of you." I reached down and put my hand on her lower stomach. "I'm going to take care of both of you."

Instantly

he arms went around my neck, I hugged her close, feeling my own heart start to settle as we held on to one another.

I kept on holding her, after a moment she pulled back and leaned back in the bed.

"Why am I so tired."

"They gave you a sedative, get some sleep."

"Please stay." I reached out and held her hand as her eyes closed, she fell asleep, I pulled a chair up closer to the bedside and I laid down, draping my arm across her waist so when she woke up and moved it would wake me up.

I feel into a disrupted sleep, basically forced myself into REM sleep.