Alex Standall|Alone

Warnings: So much fluff you'll die

“Alright Liberty High, let’s slow it down a bit- nice and slooow.” The DJ announced. Great, you thought. Before you could get by not having a date by dancing with everyone at once. With slow songs, it became obvious who was at prom with someone, and who would be going home alone. You took a seat on the bleachers and glanced around hopefully, wanting to spot a friend who hadn’t brought a date either. You weren’t left searching for long when through the crowd came a familiar face. Alex Standall stood before you, arm outstretched, inviting you to the dance floor. You took his hand and laughed. 

“I didn’t think you were a slow-dancer, let alone the kind of guy to show up dateless to prom!”

“Don’t rub it in. You think every guy has to bring a date?” He asked, jokingly. 

“No, I just thought it would take a lot more effort to get you into a tux!”Alex looked himself over, smiling nervously. 

“I mean- you do look good.”

“You sounds so surprised!” For a moment, you thought you’d offended him. “But you look pretty great too.” He placed his hands on your waist as he said this, making you blush. Luckily, the lights were dim enough. You took his shoulders, and began to sway back and fourth. As soon as you found your rhythm, the tempo began to pick up again, and everyone went back to jumping and twirling like apes in a zoo. You both laughed, despite the awkwardness of the situation, though he left his hands where they were. 

“I don’t see how they can call this dancing!” He shouted over the music. 

“I don’t either, but we could try it?” You replied, not wanting him to drift back into the crowd and leave you there. Alex took both of your hands, and flailed them around, a confused expressed on his face.

“Am I doing this right?” He asked. 

“I don’t think you can really do it wrong. Come on!” Soon you were both jumping and moving your bodies in the strange ways that other teenagers do at dances, and laughed at each other’s attempts at keeping time. A few songs later, the two of you were out of breath and headed back to the bleachers, which had become nearly empty- the stragglers seemed to have joined the party, or gave up entirely and went home. Despite the amount of room this gave you, you and Alex sat side by side, your legs pressing together. 

“This whole thing is so cliche! The photo booth, the spiked punch bowl, there’s even a disco ball like, what?” Alex, although you knew he was enjoying himself, seemed appalled by his surroundings. 

“Would you- uh, never mind.”

“What, (Y/N)?”

“It’s nothing, I just…wondered if you wanted to go somewhere else?” Alex’s face shifted from confused to a small shy smile. One you’d never seen on him before. 

“Yeah, let’s go.” He reached over and took your hand, leading you out the door. You’d thought he was only holding on so you didn’t get separated, but when you left the stuffy gym and he didn’t let go, you felt a flutter in your stomach.

“So, what should we do?”

“Monet’s? They’re still open!” you suggest.

“Wearing a tux and a dress? Yeah, we won’t stand out or anything.”

“Exactly! It’ll be fun, please?” You begged. That nervous smile appeared again, and you were starting to like it. 

“Monet’s then. I could definitely use the caffeine!”

“Perfect! It’s a date.” You wanted to take it back as soon as you’d said it, but Alex approved. 

“Date…yeah, I guess it is.” He winked. 

🌟🦋🌹-Lo