Check (Analogical)

Unedited

Virgil and Logan were sat playing chess, much like the two boyfriends had many times before. Chess was the game that they were able to play in silence, without thinking too much about what was going on around them.

"Check." Logan looked up at Virgil and smiled. It wasn't often that he called check, he would often plan his moves and make it so that he won before he had to call check.

Virgil glanced up at his boyfriend. He had a plan, and it seemed to be working. Logan may be the logical one, but he had overlooked one of the most crucial moves.

Virgil picked up his king and moved it one space forward, out of the line of Logan's bishop. He had one more move, and Logan would lose.

Logan often won, only because he had plenty of practice, but Virgil was slowly learning his ways.

Logan moved his bishop, and called out check, once again.

Virgil could tell that Logan was starting to get confused, and he had no way of knowing what was coming next. Or, he did, and he knew there was nothing he could do.

His king was trapped in a corner, and with one final move, Virgil could block his own king, and trap Logan's permanently.

He picked up his knight, and blocked his own king, and trapped Logan's between the pawn, and the castle.

"Checkmate." Virgil looked up at Logan with a smug smile, knowing he was about to break his boyfriend.

"What? How? That is impossible."

"I beat you."

"But that... There is no way... I have never been beaten before."

"There's a first time for everything."

Logan looked at Virgil blankly, and Virgil could see him shutting down slightly.

-

A few days later, Virgil smiled and pulled Logan into a hug. "Do you want to play chess?"

"Not now..."

Virgil grinned and walked off.

"You'll have to claim your title again eventually."

"Later." Logan called after him and sighed. His boyfriend would be the death of him someday.

339 words

Hope you enjoyed
Take care
xx