~23~ I'm Jealous, Ellie

Ellie's POV

I get home from work and I'm anxious. I haven't heard any updates on Lance. I decide to go back to the hospital to check on him. He's my friend, and
I know he would do it for me.

I get to the hospital and check the waiting room. His mom isn't there anymore. Good! He must be in a room now. I go to the desk and ask.

"Excuse me, could you tell me which room Lance Mills is in? He's the appendectomy patient" I say.

The nurse types his name into the computer and nods. "732" she says with a smile.

"Thanks" I smile as I go to find it.

When I get to the room, I knock on the doorframe. His mom, and I'm assuming dad, see me immediately and motion me in.

I see Lance laying on the bed. He's pale. It's obvious he's still in pain.

He smiles at me, though, and tries to sit up a bit.

"How you feeling, friend?" I ask as I go up to him and grab his hand.

"Better than I was this morning" he jokes, laying his head back down.

I nod. "Yeah, you were a little whiney there, boss" I joke.

He chuckles, and then winces from the pain it just caused.

"You didn't need to come by"

"I wanted to. I hated leaving, but I needed to get back in case someone needed me" I say, squeezing his hand.

He just nods.

"Do you guys need anything? I can run and grab something if you do" I ask, looking at his mom and dad.

They both just smile and shake their heads.

"Ok. I've gotta get back. You need anything, you call, hear me?" I ask.

He smirks and nods. "Yes ma'am"

I leave and start walking down the hall. I remember something I wanted to tell him, so I turn around and walk back.

I don't go in, though. I can hear his parents talking.

"It's a shame she's married. She's absolutely perfect" his mom says.

"Knock it off. She's just a friend" Lance snaps.

"If she wasn't married?" His dad asks.

I can hear Lance sigh. "Then I probably would have married her by now" he says sadly.

I have to leave. He will be beyond humiliated if he knows I just heard that.

I'm feeling kinda guilty on my way home. Is it wrong to be attracted to a man who isn't your husband? Obviously it's just a small attraction, but it still feels wrong. I'm married to my person. I would never stray. Not ever. I still can't help noticing men sometimes. Noticing Lance. I never let myself think about it. I keep everything professional, always. However, touching his stomach today sent a jolt down my spine. I'm being stupid.

Before I realize what I'm doing, I'm pulling into the firehouse. I never even meant to come here. I think I'm just feeling guilty. Really guilty.

I go in and look around. Liam is playing cards at the table with his men. It's weird not seeing Diego here. I have to put that thought out of my mind immediately. Those thoughts are still too painful.

Liam sees me and comes up to me. "Damn. Am I in trouble?" He pretends to pout.

"Yup. I brought the paddle, young man" I say with a straight face.