~173~ New Neighbor

Emma's POV

I get back to the gym and I'm furious. As soon as Jake sees me, he knows.

"Didn't go well, huh?"

"Nope," I say as I sit down in the chair and hand him the cupcakes I got.

"I'll do this crap for awhile if you want to go out on the floor for a bit."

He fist pumps and jumps out of his chair. "Thank you! I'm losing my mind with this boring stuff!" He says, grabbing a cupcake, kissing my head, and rushing out.

I chuckle as I sit at his desk and start entering in gym memberships.

I work on paperwork for four hours, when Jake comes back in. He looks at the desk and his eyes get big.

"How did you get so much done?!?"

I just shrug.

"The only thing that isn't done is payroll," I say.

He comes over to me and looks through the work I got done. "I don't think you realize how much you just helped me," he says seriously.

I stand up and kiss his cheek. "You good if I head out?"

He nods. "Yeah. Mikey is going to be here in a bit to relieve me."

I nod as I grab my stuff and head home. When I get in, Luke is in the kitchen, eating ice cream out of the carton.

"Hey Emmy"

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing"

"Why are you mad?"

"I'm not"

"Luke, stop. What's wrong?"

He gives me a hard look and shakes his head. "He's my best friend, and losing you last time almost killed him. Get your head out of your ass."

Dad and mom stop talking and stare at us.

"Excuse me?!?"

"I'm serious. Quit being friends with Owen."

I glare at him. "Who the hell do you think you are? I literally only see him when I'm giving him lessons. I never talk to him outside of the gym. How is this my fault?"

Luke just glares at me. "Don't break his heart, Emma."

"You're such a loser, Luke," I say as I shove him roughly. I shove him rougher than I meant to, and he slams into the fridge. He lets out a groan in pain.

"Emma, don't ever put your hands on your brother again," dad says darkly.

"Or what, dad?" I snap.

Dad just looks at me hard. There's nothing he can do, and he knows it. I go upstairs and slam my door. I sit down at my desk and start working on my paper that's due tomorrow. When I look out my window, I see Owen and his dad carrying in a dresser. I shut my blinds angrily.

I don't care about Owen. It's Trace. It's always been Trace. I don't appreciate the judgement and disapproval I'm getting from everyone. I've done nothing wrong. Owen has done nothing wrong.

It's just a crappy situation.

An hour later, there's a knock on my door. "Come in."

I don't even look up. I have no idea who's here.

Suddenly I feel Trace's hand grab mine and pull me to standing. He pulls me gently into a hug and kisses my neck.

"Forgive me," he says in my neck.