~131~ Car

Sasha's POV

Today is Dylan's birthday, and we're surprising him with a car. He has no idea; we're pretending like there's no chance at all he's getting one.

It's actually been in the works for a long time. We have had the money, thanks to mom and dad, but Mason didn't want to use the money on that. He wanted to be able to buy his brother a car himself.

So, he has been using all the extra money he has gotten from being a track coach this year, as well as taking a bunch of detention duty, to save enough money to buy him one. I hope Dylan appreciates it. Mason has been working his tail off to buy him this.

His birthday falls on a Saturday this year. We've been doing things all day, celebrating. We went to the movies, went and played laser tag (I sat out with Drew, because my leg still isn't completely healed) and went bowling.

It's now evening time, and we are at home, eating the Chinese food that Dylan requested.

"Ok, ready for your presents?" Mason asks, grinning at him.

Dylan just smiles. He knows he's not getting a car, and he's trying not to be disappointed. He is though, and we can both tell it.

Josie gives him the present she bought him; A sweatshirt he was wanting. He forces himself to look at her and gives her a half-hearted 'thank you.' He has not forgiven her at all. Most days he won't even talk to her.

We give him a few more gifts, and he's trying his best not to act disappointed. Mason and I give each other a secret smile. This kid is so disappointed that it's actually making me feel a little bad. Not a lot, but a little.

"Ok, kid, here's your last one," Mason says, handing him a box. We put the keys in a clothes box to really make him upset.

He opens it, and he has to do a double take. When his brain finally registers, he looks at us with his mouth open.

"Is this for real?" He finally asks.

Mason smiles big. "We love you, bud. Happy Birthday," he says softly.

"NO WAY!!!!!!" He finally squeals, jumping up and dancing like a dork.

We just laugh.

"You done dancing? Figured you would want to see it," Mason teases.

"Yeah I do!" He says as he rushes out.

We parked the car at Wes' house so Dylan wouldn't see it. We all walk over there, trying to keep up with Dylan.

I don't know much about cars. It's a dodge something or other, and it's blue. When Dylan sees it, he squeals even harder. Apparently he likes it.

Finally he goes over to Mason and gives him a huge hug. "Thank you, Mason," he says warmly.

"I'm sorry it took me so long to be able to get it for you," Mason says sadly.

Dylan just shakes his head and smiles at him. Then he turns and gives me a hug.

"Thank you," he says as he kisses my cheek.

"It was all your brother. He worked a lot of detention duty to buy this car."

Dylan shakes his head with a smile and goes around to the drivers side to inspect it.

Mason is beaming. He worked his butt off to get him this car, and the fact that Dylan likes it so much means everything to Mason.

It's been several weeks, and Dylan is still on cloud nine. He has already waxed the car three times and he's out there every day, cleaning the inside of it.