~95~ Lousy Date

Ellie's POV

I've been back to work for several weeks. Sasha and Mason have been out of the house for about 4 months. This house is lonely without them.

I get home from work, and Taylor is hanging out, playing a video game.

"Hey darling" he says over his shoulder, trying not to die.

"Hey yourself" I say as I put my stuff down on the counter.

It used to be chaos once I got home. Making sure everyone was doing homework, getting started on chores, getting dinner started...Now I don't have much to do.

It's Wednesday, and Emma and Luke have classes until 9 pm. They normally don't get home until almost 10. We always eat takeout on Wednesdays, because it's pointless to cook a big meal for just the two of us.

I don't have as much laundry now, so there isn't any for me to start...I'm caught up.

I just kinda look around, trying to figure out what to do.

"How was your day?" He asks, still playing his game.

"Fine" I say. I'm actually a little irritated at him today. He doesn't know that, though.

He finally dies, and comes over to say hi.

"Missed you. This house has been quiet all day" he says sadly. He's still struggling. More so than me, I think.

I smile at him as he studies my face.

"Why are you mad?"

"I'm not" I say as I go put my purse upstairs.

When I come back down, he is watching me.

"Want to go out to dinner tonight?" Thought we could go on a date" he says simply.

"Sure. Can we run to the craft store first? I want to pick up some fabric"

"Yeah. What do you need fabric for?" He asks.

"I can't buy fabric?" I ask with an attitude.

He raises his eyebrows. "Of course you can. I was just wondering what you wanted to work on."

"New curtains for the kitchen"

He nods slowly, staring at me hard.

"Ellie, what's wrong?"

"Nothing. I'll go freshen up and be down in a few minutes" I say as I go upstairs.

I go into the bathroom and check myself out in the mirror. Yup, it's still gone. It's pissing me off he hasn't noticed yet.

When I get downstairs, he is ready to go. He must have gotten clothes out of the laundry room.

We drive silently to the craft store, and he just follows me around the store as I pick out what I want. He doesn't say anything as I buy more than I intended. I'm a sucker for this place.

He pays for the stuff without a word, and we go bowling for a while before we head to dinner. He can tell I'm upset, but he isn't pressing. He's trying to lighten the mood, but it isn't working.

Once we get to dinner, and have ordered, he sighs. "Will you just tell me what I've done now? No offense, but I haven't had this lousy of a date since I was 24, and the girl was texting another guy the whole time."

"Thanks" I snap.

"I'm kidding...Kind of. Please just tell me why you're mad."

"I'm not"

"You are" he says darkly as the waitress brings us our food.

We eat in silence and he pays the bill quickly after we eat. We ride home in silence.