~29~ Choose Your Hard

Luke's POV

The ride to Kelly's house is quiet. Mom had to call Principal Mills on the way to get her address. She doesn't live far from our house. I had no idea.

When we get there, I expect mom and dad to stay in the car, but they don't. They get out and go up with me. This is so embarrassing.

We get to the door and I knock. I'm nervous. I'm embarrassed. I feel awful.

Kelly answers after a minute, and she's immediately uncomfortable. She wants me here even less than I want to be here.

"Kelly, I'm so sorry. As soon as it came out I regretted it. You don't know how much I wish I could take it back."

She just nods, saying nothing.

"Will you please forgive me?" I ask softly.

She sighs, and shakes her head. "No, Luke, I won't," she says quietly.

"Really?" I ask, surprised and a little irritated.

"You didn't mean to say it, fine. But you were still thinking it. You're not a nice guy. Trace is. Trace has always been nice to me. We aren't friends, but he smiles at me in the halls and makes small talk with me whenever we have a class together. He has since Freshman year. You don't. You have made fun of me for four years. You're not nice. I appreciate the apology, that your parents are making you give me, but that's it."

"I apologized to you as soon as it happened. My mom and dad weren't even around," I snap. She's making me angry.

She shrugs. "I heard it" she says simply.

I just nod. "I've been trying. I've been trying hard these last few months"

She laughs darkly.

"By trying hard, you mean, you aren't insulting me when I'm over at your house...Ok, I'll give you that. You still ignore me at school. It's fine. I'm sure I do taint your perfect image, but I have no interest in making you feel better. Can you guys just leave, please?" She asks, looking at mom.

Mom just nods. "We sure can" she says, grabbing my arm roughly and pulling me off the step.

We start to walk away, when without thinking, I turn around and walk back.

"Kelly, I am sorry. You haven't deserved any of the shit I have done to you. I don't know what my problem is, but I've been trying. The only reason I haven't been acknowledging you at school is because I'm embarrassed. I might not graduate. I'm embarrassed that I need a tutor. It has nothing to do with you. I'm embarrassed I need your help. I don't want to be that person that you think about for the rest of your life when someone asks you how your high school experience was. I never meant to make you feel so bad" I say, taking a deep breath and looking at the ground. I'm about to cry.

When I look up, I have tears falling down; My voice starts to crack. "You're a better person than me. But I'm trying. My mom told me you have a brother. I had no idea. I'm sorry I never asked."

Her face softens, finally, and she nods slightly.

"I know you're trying, I'm just not interested in spending anymore time with you. I do hope you graduate though. You deserved that A on the project."

I nod. "I never would have gotten it without your help. Please. Please help me with this test. I will never pass it without you." I sniff.

She shakes her head slightly. "You're smarter than you give yourself credit for. You did most of the project on your own. You can get an A on this test too. I won't help you though."