~56~ Predator

Ellie's POV

I kiss Taylor goodbye and he follows behind the bus in the car. I told him he didn't need to, but he insisted. He knows how uncomfortable I am about this weekend. Just knowing he is right behind me is making me feel a little better. Sasha and Drew are also riding with Taylor. Hopefully Drew sleeps the whole way so they don't have to pull over.

I get in, and just sit by the window. I'm one of the first adults on the bus. McKenna was going to come to help fill in, but she ended up having a family emergency and couldn't. I'm bummed. Now it's just me and the boys. Nick is with the other bus, with his basketball team, and we are with the dance team again.

I'm looking out the window when I feel someone sit next to me. Dang I didn't think this through. What if it's Ben?

To my relief, it's Lance. We haven't talked a ton since our fight. We're friendly, but that's about it.

"Glad you decided to come," he says carefully as he situates in the seat.

"Didn't want to get fired," I say simply.

"Ellie, I was being an ass when I said that. I'm sorry."

I look at him and give him a small smile. "It's fine"

He smiles back and gives me a playful nudge. "You get to put up with me for two hours. You ready?" He grins.

"Oh yeah"

Mason comes on the bus, and sits on the other seat across the aisle from us. Ben follows shortly behind and sits next to Mason.

"This is gonna be fun, huh, Ellie?" Ben asks, grinning at me.

"Yup. Buncha' fun," I say, looking back out the window.

Lance sighs quietly but doesn't say anything.

"Do I finally get to meet your mysterious family?" Ben continues.

"They will be there"

"Man. I can't get much outta' you, can I?" He says. His face is saying one thing. He's teasing and kind. But his eyes are saying something completely different. His eyes are dark. Cold. I want to cry.

I just ignore him and look back out the window.

"Ellie," Lance says in a warning tone.

"You wanted me here, I'm here. Back off," I snap.

He shakes his head as he talks to Mason and Ben. The three talk the whole way there and I'm sitting here alone, by myself. I suddenly feel like I'm 16 and pregnant again. Nobody ever talked to me. They would talk about me, but not to me. I was always alone. Whenever Alex wasn't with me, I was alone.

I quickly wipe a tear that escapes and look at my phone for a bit.

Lance looks over and sees me on my phone. "Oh that reminds me. I gave Ben your number in case he needs to get ahold of you this weekend."

"You gave him my number?" I ask, feeling the blood drain from my face.

He immediately knows I'm upset. "Ellie, we need to be able to be in contact with each other this weekend. You remember how it was two years ago."

"I don't appreciate that, Lance."

He shakes his head in frustration. "You're seriously starting to act like Missy," he snaps.

Man that hurt bad. That hurt real bad.

"Yeah, well, maybe she had the right idea."

"What is that supposed to mean?" He asks.