~184~ Emma Scares Me

Luke's POV

Emma drags me down the stairs, and she's going so dang fast I trip on the last step.

"Emma, knock it off. You almost killed me."

Jake speaks, not even looking up from the baseball game. "If you would get your ass in the gym and train with me, you could have walked down the stairs more gracefully."

I roll my eyes as I continue being drug by my sister.

We walk to our house, and she continues dragging me through the house and up the stairs. Mom and dad look at us in shock, but say nothing.

When she bursts through the door to the apartment, Shay is on the couch, crying. All I want to do is go over and hold her.

She can see my face, and she knows I've been crying too. I don't think I've ever cried in front of her before. Maybe during the earthquake? I can't remember.

"Sit" Emma says, pointing next to Shay.

"I'm good," I say darkly.

"Sit your ass down before I make you," she snaps.

I do what she says...Emma scares me a little.
She's been living with Jake way too long.

"Wanna know what I think?" She asks darkly, crossing her arms.

We both just look at her.

"I think you're both dingbats."

We both just stare at her. Emma doesn't talk like this.

"You're sitting here crying by yourself, and he was over there sobbing to me. YOU SHOULD HAVE BOTH BEEN CRYING TOGETHER AND WORKING YOUR SHIT OUT!"

We both continue to just look at her.

Emma takes a deep breath and closes her eyes.

"Shay. Were you mad he accused you of cheating and ruined his birthday surprise?"

Shay simply nods.

"SAY IT OUT LOUD."

Shay starts crying. "I was mostly hurt."

"Why?" She prods.

"Because I'm in love with him."

"Don't tell me, tell him."

She looks at me. "I'm in love with you, but you're mean," she whispers.

I put my head down and try not to cry. I've tried so hard since senior year to be a good person. So damn hard. Maybe there's just something wrong with me.

"And you get your feelings hurt too easily," I finally say, looking at her.

She just nods.

"Were you mad when he broke your computer?" Emma asks.

Shay looks at me and nods. "I don't think I've ever been so mad at someone before."

I sniff. "I was mad you left school and didn't tell me. That you were gone all night without telling me. I'm not your keeper. I don't need to know where you are at all times, but I deserved a text."

"Yes you did, but I didn't deserve for you to break my computer."

"I didn't mean to. I didn't even know your computer was there until after I threw the book. I'm sorry."

She just sniffs and wipes her eyes.

We just sit there in silence. I can tell Emma is getting frustrated.

"How old are you guys? Do I seriously need to hold your hand? Shay, maybe you should apologize for being inconsiderate. Luke already apologized for breaking the computer."