~5~ Making The Kids Mad

Ellie's POV

"Mom, can I hang out with Owen tonight?" Emma asks, stealing a piece of celery off of my plate. I was hungry so I decided I needed to make a healthy snack. I've been eating horribly lately.

I smirk at her and give her a kiss. "Of course, girly. You guys doing anything fun?" I ask her, scooping some peanut butter on another piece of celery.

"Just going to his house. His mom is going to some party." She says, taking another piece of celery and dipping it in the peanut butter.

"So it's you and Owen home alone?"

She looks at me surprised. "Is that not ok?"

"Let me think for a minute" I say, trying to process quickly. Would I have let the other kids do that? She was honest about it....What should I do?

"Mom, I'm a virgin. We're not going to do anything"
She says softly.

Trace and Luke are working on homework at the table, and I notice them stopping to listen.

"Em, I'm sorry. I'm pulling the hypocrite card. You can't do that"

She immediately gets upset. Mason and Sasha walk in the kitchen now, and Sasha takes a piece of celery off of my plate too.

"Are you serious? I could have just lied" she says with an attitude.

I nod. She totally could have lied.

"I know, girly. I appreciate that you didn't. But it wouldn't be fair if I let you do that. I never would have let Liam. Or Luke. Or Sasha. I can't let you either" I say, feeling guilty. She totally could have lied, and I feel like a schmuck.

"Mom, this isn't fair. We are literally going to watch a movie and get a pizza. I wasn't planning on losing my virginity tonight"

Mason's eyes widen as he goes to the fridge to get a drink.

"We can go to the station and ask dad if you want. He might be on your side"

She shakes her head. "He's not going to be on my side and you know it. So I tell you the truth and I'm in trouble?" She asks, raising her voice.

"You're not in trouble. I just can't let you do this. You're not even allowed to have him in your room with your door shut. You're not allowed to be home alone with him. I'm sorry, kid" I say. I really am sorry. I was a mom at her age. I'm such a hypocrite.

She sighs and rolls her eyes. "Ok. I'll remember to lie next time"

I sigh and put my head in my hand. This one sucks. I decide to call Taylor.

"Hey baby girl" he says. He sounds like he's in a good mood...It must be a slow shift.

"Hey. Do you have a second for me to get your opinion?"

"You're so dang cute, I'll even give you two"

I tell him what happened and he's quiet for a long time.

"Damn" he says after a minute.

"Yeah. Was I wrong?"

"I don't know. I honestly would have let Luke" he says sadly.

"You would have let Luke?" I ask, appalled. Luke smiles at Trace. What a chump.

"Would you have let Sasha?" I ask him. Sasha and Mason stiffen. They both know that answer.

"No" he says darkly.

I nod. "So you would have let Luke but not Sasha. Why's that?"

Taylor sighs and is quiet for another minute. "Yeah, it's totally a double standard. I get it. I think you should let her. We've got her for just a little longer. She was honest. We've got to let her out of the nest one day, Ellie Jane" he says, getting choked up. Neither of us are ready to let her out of the nest.