~6~ Curly Top

Mason's POV

I'm rushing around, trying to get ready for the day. I've got a meeting with Lance before school, and I'm running late. "Dylan, Josie, let's go!" I say, knocking on their doors for the fifth time. Some days I regret having them live with me. It just isn't working. They want nothing to do with me and they REALLY want nothing to do with Sasha.

The baby is due in a couple weeks, and I'm starting to panic. What do I know about being a dad? I've never known love. One of these days Sasha is going to realize just how much of a loser she got herself mixed up with, and she's going to leave me...Well, this is her house...She will kick me out. Can't say I will blame her. She didn't ask for this life. Hell, I didn't ask for this life.

Dylan comes out first, looking like he's in a horrible mood.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"I hate it here" he snaps as he pushes past me.

Josie comes out next, and she looks cranky too.

"What's wrong, Jos?" I ask carefully. I'm really worried about her. She used to talk so much it made you tired. Now I inwardly celebrate a little when she says a few words to me.

"Nothing" she says quietly as she slings her book bag over her shoulder.

We get downstairs and I take in the scene. Taylor has just gotten home and he's making out with Ellie. Until we walked in, they were the only ones in the room.

When I see them together, it honestly makes me a little sad. I truly thought this shit was made up so Hollywood could sell movies. Never did I think that two people could actually really love each other so much. It's not just them...Alex and Lilah, Wes and Megan, Liam and Nora...every one of them have insane relationships.

I want that with Sasha. I want it with her so badly it hurts.

Taylor sees us and immediately pulls away, smiling at us.

That's another thing about them...I hear the things they whisper to one another. Their little dirty comments. They never hide their love or affection. Most people would have been embarrassed to be caught making out. Not them. They are unaffected. Unashamed of their love for one another.

"Morning guys" Ellie smiles her gentle smile.

If you would have told me that this woman, who basically yelled at me for not letting Sasha make up her replica project, would be the same woman that I love, completely, as a mother, I would have thought you were insane. She used to scare the shit out of me. I would see her walking the halls, and I would literally hide until she passed.

All I would hear all of the time from teachers was how amazing Ellie was. How kind and goofy she was. I didn't believe them. She is, though. I truly love her, probably more than my own mom. She's the mother I've always wanted.

"Morning" I say with a smile. "You guys ready?" I ask Dylan and Josie. They just nod. I head to the door and start putting on my shoes.

"You're leaving early" Ellie says, surprised.

"Yeah, I've got a meeting with Lance, and I'm late" I say, waving to them as we walk out the door.

We drive in silence. I try several times to get the kids to talk, but they won't.

"Jos, you ready for your English test?" I ask.

She just nods, still staring out the window.

I sigh. I don't know what to do.

"Dylan, I'll give you your phone back tonight" I say, smiling at him.

"How good of you to give me back MY phone" he spits.