~166~ I Need Him As Desperately

Ellie's POV

The next morning, when I go to wake up Nolan, he's sleeping on his stomach. My poor kid. He always sleeps on his side. He's miserable.

"Time to get up, buddy," I say.

He opens his eyes, shifts, and immediately groans in pain.

"How could I possibly be more sore?" He asks as he puts his face on his pillow.

"You're stiff now from sleeping. You will feel better once you get up."

"Can I just stay home? The desks are going to suck."

"No. None of the ever kids got to do that. You're just going to have to deal with it."

He looks at me hard. "Are you still mad at me?"

I sigh as I sit on the edge of his bed and kiss his hair. "No. You're still in trouble, though."

"Is dad still mad at me?"

"You will have to ask him that."

He nods as he stands up, immediately wincing. "It's going to be hard to act like I'm not hurting today," he says seriously.

"Then don't act like you're not hurting."

He looks at me like I've grown horns, and leaves for the bathroom.

When he's ready and downstairs, Taylor is still trying to get ready for shift.

Nolan goes over to him and gives him a big hug.

Taylor immediately stops what he's doing and hugs him back tightly.

"Please don't be mad at me," Nolan says softly.

Taylor kisses his head, and pulls him away so he can look at him.

"You know you messed up?"

"Yes sir"

"You won't do it again?"

"No sir"

"Going to keep lying?"

Nolan smirks. "I know you want me to say no, but that would probably be a lie. How about, I'll try."

Taylor laughs loudly and pulls him into another hug. "I love you kid," he says, kissing his head.

"You still mad?" He asks again.

Taylor shakes his head. "No. I'm not mad. I'm serious, though, Nolan. The lying has to stop. There is nothing in this world that you can't tell me. No matter what it is you've done, you're punishment will always be less if you tell the truth."

"K"

Once we leave and are driving to school, I notice Nolan shifting a lot in his seat.

Suddenly he sighs in frustration.

"What's up?" I ask gently.

"Everybody is going to know."

"Know what?"

"That I got spanked."

"Most kids don't get spanked. They will probably have no idea."

"And if they do?"

"Then they do."

He rolls his eyes, and turns back to look out the window.