~62~ Walking Home

Hi guys! This chapter is a short one. I'm wanting to wrap up this particular storyline. It went longer and deeper than intended, and I'm ready to get to lighter things again. So, one more heavy chapter, and then I'll lighten it up ❤️❤️😘

Ellie's POV

I'm finally home. I was in the hospital for over a week after I woke up. The longest week of my life.

When I walk into my home for the first time, my house looks completely different. The coffee table and end table are not here anymore.

"What's wrong with the wall?" I ask, stunned.

The drywall is ripped off in a huge section.

Taylor has a funny look on his face.

"Just tell me" I say. He looks at Mason and they both shrug.

"Wes is repairing it. We have no idea what happened. We've been too nervous to ask you."

Mason shifts uncomfortably as I stare at the wall. I have absolutely no idea.

"I don't know" I say simply. "What was wrong with it?"

"There was a huge hole, and blood all over it" Taylor says, devastated.

"I really don't know. Maybe when he punched me. I wonder if it knocked me against the wall."

Taylor just nods and kisses my cheek. "It doesn't matter. It's getting fixed."

We settle in on the couch, and Mason hasn't left my side. None of the kids are home right now, it's just Mason, Drew, and Taylor.

"You ok?" I ask Mason after the fifth episode of I Love Lucy. Mason and Taylor haven't budged.

"No" he says simply.

I mute the TV and look at him.

"Talk to me" I say gently.

His face crumples and he's fighting tears.

"I will never be able to get that out of my head, Ellie. It was all my fault" he cries into Drew's sleeping body on Mason's chest.

"What was?"

"I had a weird feeling all night. I noticed Ben wasn't at the cookout, but Nick and I were in the middle of a bags game with two other people. I should have just left. We got home the same time that the twins and Trace did. If I would have gotten home sooner, they never would have had to see that. You wouldn't have...."

He can't talk anymore, because he's crying so hard.

I turn to face him. I cradle his cheeks in my hands and force him to look at me. "You saved my life" I say softly as I kiss his tear-soaked cheek.

"Luke and Emma aren't ok. If I would have gotten back sooner, they wouldn't have had to see you like that." He says devastated.

"Was it that bad?" I ask, looking at him.

Mason nods. "He was just about to....he was seconds away, Ellie."

I close my eyes and shake my head. I'm so thankful I wasn't truly with it. Those memories would be horrific.

"What's wrong with Emma and Luke?" I ask Taylor.

Taylor sighs. "They haven't been home since it happened. They're having a hard time. Liam has been trying to convince them for an hour to come home."

"Damn" I say as I get up and go out the door.

"Ellie, you can't walk all the way there. Sit down" Taylor says darkly.

I ignore him as I walk to Liam's. They're all on the couch, watching TV.

"Mom" Liam says, standing up and going over to me.

"Tell me you DID NOT WALK HERE" he yells.

I give him a small smile.

"Welp, I will be kicking Taylor's ass momentarily" he says darkly.

I ignore him as I go to the twins. I sit in between them, and pull them into me.

"What's going on, you two?"

They say nothing.

"Why won't you come home?"

They still say nothing.

"Emmy, talk to me."

She sighs and looks at me, tears already falling down.

"Mom, you were, it was so bad. I can't."

I see Luke wiping his eyes.

"I'm still alive, guys. Don't give him this power. That is my home. Don't let him take you away from it. Away from me. He's taken enough from me, hasn't he? Don't let him take my home."

Luke starts crying as he buries his head into my shoulder.

"I'm sorry we weren't there" he sobs. "It was my idea to go to the movies."

"Lucas, don't. Everybody is feeling guilty. Everybody. He's the one at fault. He's the only one who is to blame. Hear me?"

He just nods and wipes his eyes.

"I wanted to spend my first night home with my family. Please?" I ask both of them. They look at each other, and stand up silently. They don't want to at all.

"Want me to carry you?" Luke asks me.

"No. I want to walk home. With two of my four children."

"Make it three" Liam says, grabbing my hand and kissing my head.

"No way. Make it four" Sasha says from the doorway. I beam at her.

"I've been avoiding the house too. It's not the same without you, momma" she says as she hugs me tightly.

So I walk home with all four of my children. I walk home, feeling safe. Feeling loved.

He can't take this away from me. He can't take my life away from me. I'm not a victim, I'm a survivor.
We will get through this. All of this. With time, patience, and probably some tears.

He sure as hell is not taking my home from me. It's my home. MINE. This family is MINE. It's always been a safe sanctuary, and it's going to continue to be.

So we all five walk, hand-in-hand, towards our home. As we're walking, we see Taylor and Mason on the porch, watching us.

Waiting for all of us to come home.