~53~ You Were Kinda Being Rude

Mason's POV

Once Ellie leaves lunch, Nick and I look at each other. What was that about? Yeah, he was being a little forward, but that wasn't Ellie. At all. That was weird.

"Sorry. I really don't have a filter." He says, starting to eat his burger.

"Nah, that isn't like her." I say, trying to smooth it over.

Lance shakes his head. "It's really not. Did she have a bad morning?" He asks me.

I shake my head. "No. She was fine. I offered her a ride, but she wanted to see the twins off on their first day."

"How many kids does she have?" Ben asks, intrigued.

"4"

"Dang. That woman doesn't look like she's had any." He says, impressed.

I don't say anything. I don't want to talk about her behind her back. Especially about her looks. I consider her my mother.

"Is she married?" He continues. He must have a thing for her. Maybe that's why Ellie got annoyed.

"Yeah" I say simply. I'm not airing out her business.

"Damn" he says simply.

The rest off the lunch goes by fine. Nick and I start talking about when my free period is this year. I still go to the gym a lot on my free period to hang out with Nick.

When there's about ten minutes left, I stand up. "I'm heading out a little early today, guys. McKenna, Ben, it's nice to meet you."

"You checking on her?" Lance asks.

I just nod as I throw my stuff away and head to her office.

When I get in, she's working on some paperwork. I knock softly and wait for her to look up. She gives me her signature smile. She looks fine. She doesn't seem mad or upset.

"You ok?"

"Yeah, why?" She asks, surprised.

I go in and sit on the cot.

"You were kinda being rude to Ben. That isn't like you."

"How was I being rude?" She asks, getting defensive.

I hold my hands out, getting her to back down a little bit.

"Ok, rude wasn't the right word. You just didn't act like you normally do." I explain.

She gives me a hard look. "I don't like him at all"

"Ellie, you just met him. Is it because he said you were beautiful?"

She shakes her head. "There's something about him. I don't know how to explain it. He isn't a good guy."

I nod. I hear what she's saying, but I honestly think her feelings are a little overboard, though.

"You didn't like me at first either" I say stupidly.

"Mason Andrew West. Did you seriously just say that to me? You don't have a clue as to why?" She snaps.

"Ok, that's a fair point. Considering I just got the middle name from you, I'm apparently in trouble" I say, trying not to chuckle.

"I'm telling you now that I don't like him. I'll give him another chance tomorrow, though" she finally says.

I just nod and stand up. I go over to her and kiss her forehead. I know this woman. I trust her with my life. If she doesn't like him, there must be a reason. I don't see it though. I see a guy who just says what he feels.