~149~ Barely Functioning

Taylor's POV

I'm gutted. Completely and utterly gutted. Not only is my sister completely devastated, but so is my wife. My nephew. My son.

Once we watch as the cars turn and disappear, we're completely silent. Nobody is saying a word. Finally, Lilah looks at me.

"Taylor, you have a lot of connections. Fix this," she begs.

What am I supposed to do? Yeah, I might know a lot of people, but Alex is the one who has buddies in all the right places.

I silently come over to her and bring her into me as she cries into my chest. I stroke her hair, and whisper soft words into her ear.

"It's going to be ok, Lilah Marie. Alex is well-loved. He's got a lot of friends. I'm sure they will get him out."

I don't believe a word of it. What he did is probably going to put him away for twenty years. He will be an old man by the time he gets out. If he even gets out. He could die in prison.

I can't even look at Ellie. How much more does she need to be put through in her life? How much more family is going to leave? I can't even look at her. I can't look at Liam. I can't look at Savannah. I can't look at Colton. The only thing I can do is hold my sister. That's it.

After a few minutes, I feel Lilah go limp. She's starting to collapse. I pick her up and cradle her in my arms. Ellie comes over and feels her pulse. "Let's get her inside," she says sadly. Dejectedly.

I carry Lilah into the house and lay her on the couch. Then I lift her head up, and sit down, putting her head in my lap and stroking her cheek. Her hair. Doing what I can to bring her comfort. Any comfort at all.

Ellie, Megan, and Nora do different things. Nora brings her a wet wash cloth. Ellie gets her water. Megan is keeping an eye on her pulse and her breathing.

Every single person in this family has come inside and is sitting in the living room. Lilah is taking up the length of one of the couches, so most people are sitting on the floor.

Nobody is talking. The TV isn't on. They're all just sitting here, feeling the weight of the grief. One of our own isn't here, and the hole is massive.

Liam is on the other couch, holding Colton and Savannah. Savvy is having just as hard of a time as Colton. She's insanely close to her grandpa. This is awful for her.

Everybody sits in silence for hours. Jaxson and Drew are starting to get cranky, so Sasha and Mason take both toddlers home with them. It's obvious that Liam and Nora aren't in the right mindset to take care of Jaxson right now.

Dylan, Josie, and Izzy go with them.

A couple hours after that, Trace, Meg, and Wes go home. It's now midnight.

Lilah still hasn't gotten off the couch. Her head is still in my lap. I've had to pee for four hours, but I don't have the heart to move her. I won't move her.

Jake gets up finally, and squeezes Nolan's shoulders. "Why don't you come with us tonight?" He says softly.

I'm relieved. Nolan hasn't been in this family for long, but seeing Alex get arrested spooked him. Feeling the heaviness of the last six hours has spooked him. I can tell that he's relieved to get out of here.

"We will be back in the morning," Jake says sadly as he kisses Ellie. Then he bends down and kisses Lilah's head. Lilah doesn't even flinch. I can't decide if she's even with it right now. It's almost like she's left her body.

Colton and Savannah both fall asleep on Liam. Luke comes over and picks up Savannah, and carries her upstairs into the guest bedroom. Once Savannah is off of Liam's shoulder, Liam is able to pick up Colton and carry him upstairs. I'm not sure if he put him in Nolan's room or Luke's old room, but it doesn't matter.