~44~ The Book

Ellie's POV

"Lucas Reed Preston, get your butt down here!" I yell up the stairs. Taylor just gives me a look. He has no idea what's wrong.

Luke comes down the stairs, looking nervous. He sees my face, and immediately starts shifting his weight. Then he looks at Taylor.

"Just so I know, and can prepare, are we still getting spanked?" He asks seriously.

Taylor cackles. "Um, I'm not sure. You're not technically 18 yet, but you're graduated. I'm not sure what the rules are. I'll have to check my book and get back to you" he snorts.

"Fantastic" Luke groans as he turns back to me. He is well aware that I'm "the book."

"I can't believe I'm asking you this question, but did you go and mess with my makeup? Emma said it wasn't her, as well as Josie and Dylan."

I know he did it, and I'm honestly afraid to ask why.

He gets an "I'm guilty" look about him and stifles a smirk.

"Yeah" he says, shaking his head and smiling.

"Care to tell me why?"

"Welp, momma, see, I can explain this."

"Ok"

"Now, put your eyes back in your head. It's not nearly as weird as it sounds."

"I'm waiting"

He nods and looks at Taylor. "Can I or can I not get spanked?" He asks again.

Taylor shrugs. "I'm gonna go with 'can'."

"Damn it" he grumbles.

"Still waiting"

He nods and rolls his eyes. "Well, there's this girl at the pool that I have a crush on, and we're working together this afternoon."

"And you want to look pretty for her?" I ask. Taylor snorts.

"Momma, I'm plenty pretty" he says, offended.

"My mistake. Continue"

"Well, I have this massive zit on my nose, and I was hoping you would have something to cover it up."

I just look at him, trying not to laugh.

"But momma, I swear you're a vampire. I'm pretty sure it's unhealthy to be as pale as you are."

I glare at him. That was a low blow. Taylor is thoroughly amused, however, and is chuckling like a doofus right now.

"Anyways, I put on some wet sticky stuff, and then tried some powder stuff. I looked ridiculous. I started laughing and I kinda knocked the powder stuff into the toilet."

"LUCAS REED"

He nods, hearing the tone.

"What's the book say, dad?"

Taylor is about to pee. "I don't think this section is going to have a good outcome for you, Lukie Boy."

"Well, I want a rewrite. It was an accident."

I nod. "Do you realize that that particular makeup costs $50?"

"Come again, how much?" Taylor asks, losing his smile for the first time.

"Don't start with me. If you like what you see then you can just keep paying for what keeps me looking like this" I say, waving my hand over my body.

Taylor raises his eyebrows, but wisely says nothing.

I turn back to Luke. "You do realize that you have two sisters with darker complexions than me. You didn't think to ask them?"