~140~ Swift Kick In The Ass

Ellie's POV

It's been a week since Jake agreed to take the house. Sarah and Jake scrambled, and Lilah listed their house yesterday. They have already had some interest, so we're hoping it sells quickly.

Nolan gets his homework done, and he comes and sits next to me on the couch. "How's it going, buddy?" I ask as I rub his back gently.

"Good"

"So, school went good?"

"Yeah. People are nice here."

"I'm glad to hear that," I say, kissing his head.

As we watch TV, I notice he's getting a faraway look. "Watcha thinking about?" I ask him after a minute.

"Hmmm?" He asks.

"You look like you're a million miles away. Whatcha' thinking about?" I ask as I continue to rub his back.

He shrugs. "My grandma used to do this a lot."

"Do what?"

"Rub my back."

"Is it ok that I am?" I ask, taking my hand off of his back quickly.

He looks at me and smiles. "Yeah."

"You miss your grandma?" I ask as I resume rubbing his back.

"Every day."

"Tell me about her," I say after another minute.

He shrugs. "She was the only person who has ever loved me."

That breaks my heart.

"Well, now you have a ton of people who love you. One of whom, is sitting right here."

Is that true? No. I don't love him, but I do like him.

"You haven't known me long enough to love me," he says after a minute.

I say nothing else as we continue watching I Love Lucy. He's actually sitting here watching it with me.

Luke comes down the stairs, and audibly groans when he sees what's on.

"Ah man. I came down here because Shay was tired and went to bed. I may as well too, before this show bores me to sleep."

"Don't be nasty. I'm not sure where I went wrong with you, Lucas."

Luke rolls his eyes and sits down. "Can Nolan and I play on the switch instead?"

"Ask him."

"Wanna play?"

"Sure," he grins, grabbing a controller. I sit and watch the two play for a couple of hours.

Finally, I end it. "Ok, kiddo. You have school tomorrow. Time for bed."

He sighs as he puts the controller down.

"Wow, you're obedient. We're in the middle of a game and you don't ask her for more time?" Luke asks, shocked.

Nolan laughs. "Never bite the hand that feeds you, or you will wind up on your ass," he smiles as he walks upstairs.

Luke and I just look at each other, horrified.

"He thinks you're going to kick him out?" Luke whispers once Nolan goes upstairs.

"He must," I sigh as I go upstairs too.

I wait a couple minutes, and then knock.

"Come in"

I open the door, and he's sitting on his bed in just sweatpants. He climbs in and pulls the covers over him and lays down.