~136~ Pleasant Surprise

Ellie's POV

The next morning, as I'm scrambling to get ready for work, there's a knock on the door. Who the heck is here on a Monday morning at 7:20? Obviously none of the family, because nobody ever knocks.

I open the door, and it's the Rossners. Lynn and Malcolm. They are the ones who went to Megan about Katie.

"Hi," I say, confused. We don't really talk to them. Lynn is gossipy and in Katie's back pocket.

"We're so sorry to bother you so early, Mrs. Preston. Can we come in for a second?" Malcolm asks.

"Sure," I say as I move so they can come in.

Taylor is at the kitchen counter drinking coffee, but he comes to the door when he hears them.

"Hey guys," he says as he gives them a polite smile.

"Everything ok?"

Malcolm sighs. "This one and her gossiping has officially gotten us in too deep."

Taylor and I look at each other. "I'm sorry?" Taylor asks.

"We've been wanting to talk to you for weeks, but Katie is always home. She finally left to get her hair done, so that's why we're here so early."

Taylor nods. "Come on in, guys. Can I get you some coffee?"

"No. We're not staying," Malcolm says.

Taylor just nods.

"Look, you guys need to know that Katie is on the warpath. She's going to take you guys down."

Taylor chuckles. "I'm not too worried about it."

"Well, I am. I'm done. We're going to sell our house and get out of here. I've always hated that woman, and this gossiping hen got attached to Katie's hip somehow. She blackmailed us. Long story short, in order to keep a story about us out of the neighborhood, she forced Lynn to meddle and create that fight between the Greene's."

"I knew Katie orchestrated that," I say softly.

Malcolm nods. "Yup. She timed the kiss out and everything, and told Lynn exactly when to be at the window to take the picture."

Taylor shakes his head angrily.

"Anyways, we're out. That woman is a snake, and you guys need to be careful. I mean that."

"I appreciate your advice. Good luck in selling your house. Make sure Katie gives you a fair price," Taylor says with a genuine smile.

"I'm not selling to Katie!" Malcolm says.

"You're not?!?" Taylor asks, keeping the excitement out of his voice.

"This old hag promised her that. I never did. I've heard you guys give above asking price. If that's true, I want to sell to you."

Taylor looks at me and I smile. He knows that's a yes.

"We use my sister as a realtor. I want to walk through it before I agree to anything. If we like it, whatever your house is worth, I'll give you $20,000 more to help with your moving expenses."

Malcolm doesn't even hesitate. "Taylor, as long as you like it, you've got yourself a deal. You better come now and look at it. Katie will only be gone a couple more hours."

"Let's do it," he says as he gets out his phone to call Lilah.

"Taylor, I've been in this neighborhood longer than you have so I feel like I owe this to you. You watch your back. She's already on the warpath. Now that you're buying this house out from under her, it's going to be a full-blown war."