~157~ The Destination

Ellie's POV

We decided to rent a car for the day, so we hang out at Justin's house until an Uber gets here to take us to a dealership. While we're waiting, Jake rummages through the pantry.

"Ugh. Seaweed chips? What the hell?!?" He asks, crinkling his nose.

Nolan nods. "I'm starving. He never had anything good to eat."

Taylor nods and kisses his head. "As soon as we get the car, we will get food."

Nolan nods, saying nothing.

"Was he nice to you, Nolan?" I ask, squeezing his hand.

Nolan only shrugs.

The Uber gets here, and we go and get our car at a dealership. When we get to a restaurant and get our
breakfast, Nolan is inhaling his food.

This kid is barely even chewing. His entire plate is gone in about two minutes.

We all just look at each other in horror.

"Here, buddy," I say as I hand him my plate of biscuits and gravy.

He nods as he eats mine too.

"Nolan, do you want my pancakes?" Taylor asks quietly. Sadly.

Nolan gives him an embarrassed smile. He's still hungry.

Taylor hands him his plate, and Nolan finishes off the pancakes too.

"Here kid, Jake says pushing his untouched plate of steak and eggs to him. None of us have been eating, we've just been watching Nolan.

Nolan shakes his head. "No thanks. I'm finally full. Sorry I ate all of your food," he says, humiliated.

"Did Justin feed you?" Taylor asks softly.

"He offered me food, but it was awful."

Taylor looks at him sadly. "Were you too upset to eat, buddy?"

Nolan just shrugs as he drinks his soda.

Taylor grabs his hand and squeezes it. "We've got the entire day to have fun. What should we do first?"

We spend the entire day sightseeing. We had so much fun. Nolan is even laughing at the end, acting like the Nolan we know. I'm finally feeling a little lighter. Not completely, though. Justin still hasn't signed away his rights.

We head to the lawyers office around 3:30, and we are all sitting, waiting on Justin. I'm silently rubbing Nolan's back. He had been bouncing his leg, and his body language seemed off. The thought of seeing Justin is stressing him out.

As soon as I started rubbing his back, he immediately relaxed. His leg quits bouncing and his shoulders aren't so tense.

Taylor has been on the phone with Alex's buddy, and the two lawyers have been on the phone for the last twenty minutes.

By 4:10, Justin still isn't here.

"He's coming, right?" I whisper to Jake.

Jake looks at me, and gets out his phone silently. I can see him call Justin, and wait.

"Where are you? You better get your ass down here now," he finally says in the phone. Then he hangs up.

"He answered?" I ask, relieved.

"No. Voicemail," he says, stressed.

I continue to rub Nolan's back, and we continue to sit in silence.

By 5, Justin still isn't here.

"Sorry guys, my office is now closed. You will have to come back tomorrow," the lawyer finally says.