~174~ My Mother's Child

Liam's POV

I'm on shift, and I'm working on drills with my men.

"Tatum, you need to be quicker getting the jaws out. The victim woulda' been crushed while you were scratching your ass. We're all going to watch you do it again," I say darkly. He's been slacking lately, and it's been pissing me off. Ever since Tony got promoted after Diego died, Tatum is supposed to be next after me. The way he's been performing lately,
I'm about to give that spot to Jenkins.

"Yes Lieutenant," he says. I catch him rolling his eyes, though.

I chuckle and go up to him.

"Got something in your eye?" I ask, an inch from his face.

"No. Sorry sir."

I nod. "If your time isn't under 45 seconds, you're scrubbing toilets. Got me?"

"Yes sir," he sighs as he rushes towards the truck.

"Quit talking guys and watch him," I say sternly. Everyone has been sluggish and a little lazy lately. I'm tired of it.

I start the timer and watch Tatum, finally, perform like a firefighter.

"Great job, Tatum. That's what I've been waiting for all morning. Do it again."

"Yes sir," he says as he goes back to the truck. I make him run the drill three more times. By the time he's done, he's sweating.

"Great job," I say, squeezing his shoulder. "Go get some water."

"Thank you, Lieutenant," he says as he rushes inside.

I shake my head and chuckle. "Ok, ya bozos. Go take a break."

The cheers from my men were stupid. You'd think I was a jerk. I only kinda enjoy their misery. Well, I actually do enjoy it. I am a jerk.

I chuckle as I go in and get water. It's warm today. Suddenly my phone starts ringing.

I look at the number and roll my eyes.

"Lance, I love ya, but during school hours, I do not enjoy your phone calls."

"Well, then you're not going to enjoy this one," he says in a dark tone.

Dang he's mad. She did something awful.

"Bad enough I need to come down?"

"Oh yeah"

"K. Let me make sure Chief is good with it and I'll be down."

"I forgot you're on shift. Want me to call Nora?"

"No. Nora can't do anything with Savannah anymore. That's a whole other story. I'll be down in a bit."

"Ok" Lance says darkly.

Dang he's mad. She must have done something REALLY awful.

I go into Chief's office. He's talking to Greene.

"Care if I leave and pick up a delinquent?"

"Uh oh....No, go ahead."

"I have a feeling she did something really stupid. Lance is super mad. Care if I bring her here, and then take her to mom after school? I want her to help me with the paddle. I'm too scared to do it on my own."

"Dang. Her first encounter with Woody?" Chief asks sadly.

"I told her if she ever got in trouble at school again she would get it. So, here we are."

Chief nods. "Do what you need to do. This is bringing me flashbacks, kid."

I chuckle. "I really owe you guys an apology. You don't realize until you're an adult how much your kid misbehaving sucks."