Katherine

"She's gone. Ran for the hills." Damon yells at Elena. The plan to kill Klaus failed because Stefan pulled Damon away.

"We will figure it out. We always do." Elena tried to reassure him, holding his hands.

"I'm gonna go home. Freshen up." I tell them. I don't wait for a response. I'm exhausted for todays efforts. No matter what, something always stops us from being successful. We deserve to have one plan go right. We do everything to ensure it. Then you have Stefan who compelled, Elena's guilty conscience getting in the way, or Damon being an idiot.

Home was a lonely place to be. It was my parents home and my childhood home until my parents sacrificed themselves to save me from becoming a vampire. I owe it to them, really.

I shove my keys into the lock and twist til they allowed the door to be opened. I left a small light on so whenever I did go home I could see.

"I was hoping you'd be here." Katherine who sat in one of the chair draws my attention. She still wears the dress. The one she wore while pretending to be Elena. I don't say anything and she takes notice of my sulking attitude, "The plan was a good one." She tried to reassure me.

"I know it was a good one but Stefan-

"Stefan had no choice. If Damon would've killed Klaus then his hybrids would have killed Damon. Stefan saved Damon." She reveals to me. Katherine's leaves the chair and walks slowly over to me. I take a second to allow this new information sink in, "Stefan did the right thing." She goes on.

I sigh, feeling defeated, "And where are you off to now?" I find myself asking. Things between us are... well, I don't know. Certainly not friends but not lovers either.

"Anywhere you want to go. Just you and I. Let's run away." She tries to persuade me while twirling a lock of my red hair, "I can't stay here. Klaus will kill me but I don't want to leave you."

"I can't abandon my friends." I regretfully tell her. If under other circumstances, I would. She's the challenge I crave, the excitement my bones need out of life.

"Okay." She says sorrowfully, "When you're ready for me..." She starts, "When you're ready for a life that's full of love and happiness, I'll find you."

"You don't have to leave." I tell her.

"Yes, I do. I'll watch over you, okay? And I'll protect you from anything. I'll be back, y/n."