𝙴𝚕𝚒𝚓𝚊𝚑

You had never fought with Elijah before and he had never walked out on you before. Not until today. You could barely even remember what the argument was about now, only that it hadn't been worth all of the pain and stress you'd felt since. You had looked all over for him, and after seeing no sign of him anywhere, had come home and waited anxiously on the couch. It was almost 3am when the door finally opened and he stumbled in.

"Elijah," you breathed, "Thank God."

You ran into his arms, realising when you got there that he stunk of alcohol. He was leaning against you, too, as though he couldn't hold his own weight, and had an almost empty bottle of whiskey clutched in his hand.

"Are you drunk?"

"No," he responded, pushing you away and leaning against the wall instead. "I'm merely ... What is it they call it? Tipsy?"

"I've been texting you all night. You couldn't have let me know you were at a bar while I was sat here, worried sick?"

"Must we be so dramatic?" He rolled his eyes, sauntering into the kitchen and placing his whiskey down. He rooted through the cupboards, looking satisfied when he pulled out a tumbler.

"Don't you think you've had enough?" you asked.

"I can decide that for myself, thank you." There was bitterness laced in his tone, and as though in defiance, he poured the whiskey into the tumbler, holding your gaze with hooded lids.

"Why are you being like this?" You couldn't swallow the lump in your throat, and your voice came out strained. "I don't want to fight with you again. I'm sorry for the argument, but you're not being fair, either."

"You're right. God forbid I do something for myself for a change. God forbid that for one night of my eternal existence my life doesn't revolve around you."

His words stung, causing tears to well in your eyes. "Fine. Enjoy drinking on your own like a sad little man. In fact, if I'm so much trouble to your eternal existence, why bother with me at all? Leave."

"For heaven's sake!" he shouted, so loudly you jumped. He grabbed the whiskey bottle again and before you understood what was happening, flung it towards you with indescribable speed. You ducked, hearing glass shatter into millions of pieces behind you. Then you felt the sting where the glass had caught your cheek, and the warm liquid seeping from the wound. Elijah was still yelling, but you couldn't hear him, not really. You were too much in shock. "Can you stop with the incessant nagging for five minutes?"

You clutched your cheek and pulled your hand away, looking at the crimson substance staining your trembling hands. Then, you raised your eyes, gulping as tears rolled down your cheeks.

Elijah was at more of a loss than you had ever seen him, his mouth gaping open and his hands balled into fists so tight that you were sure his knuckles would break the skin. His eyes were not filled with scorn, though, as they had been a moment ago. They had softened to guilt and disbelief. They were his again, though you were sure you'd never look at him the same even so.

"[Y/N]," he whispered, moving from behind the counter. "I'm so sorry. I'm..."

"Don't come any closer," you warned. "Don't come anywhere near me."

"I didn't mean it," he stuttered desperately, raising his hands in caution. "I was drunk. I wasn't thinking. There is no excuse."

"No, there isn't." You dabbed your sleeve against your cheek and shook your head. "You need to leave. Go back to the bar. Go to your brother's. I don't care. Just go."

"I can't leave like this." This time, it was his tears that fell. "Please, [Y/N]. I never meant to hurt you."

"You could have fooled me," you retorted, feeling ice burst through your veins as you looked behind you at the shards of glass. "Either you leave or I will. It's over, Elijah. There's no coming back from this."

He eyed the mess behind you and nodded in understanding, lowering his eyes. He staggered towards the door, only stopping when he was inches away from you. You hoped he could not hear how fast your heart was racing, though you were sure he could.

"I'm so sorry," he said, his voice thick with shame. "I will never forgive myself. I...I'm a monster."

His thumb brushed the cut on your cheek and your eyes fluttered shut before you tilted your head away. You were praying he would just leave so that you could let out the sobs you were holding in.

"Goodbye, Elijah."

The last thing you heard of him was his footsteps, and then the sound of the door slamming behind him.

x not mine x