Luffy's Hat Part 6

NAMI'S POV

Luffy approached the ship with her next to him. His hand was rubbing her back as she shyly got closer to the docks.

Sanji, Usopp, Zoro, and I hopped off the ship and met the two halfway.

"Luffy? Where have you been?" I asked, anxious for an answer, though I had a pretty good idea.

Luffy cleared his throat. That's when I realized that the girl he brought with him was wearing his straw hat. My eyes widened.

"Everyone," he said. "This is Winter."

The raven-haired girl smiled shyly and waved her fingers at us. "It's nice to meet you all. Luffy has told me a lot about you guys."

Sanji and Usopp bowed their heads in her direction, while Zoro just stared without words. I took a step forward.

"Luffy, not to be rude," I crossed my arms slightly. "Why is she with you?" Winter lost her smile.

Then, she slowly took a step forward towards us.

"Actually, I wanted to speak to all four of you," she glanced back at Luffy over her shoulder. "Alone."

Luffy's expression changed into a concerned look. Saying nothing, he walked back a few yards to where he stood patiently under a tree.

Winter faced us again, and my crossed arms tightened. "So," I sighed. "What is it?"

Winter took a deep breath, as if what she was about to say was huge. Then, suddenly, she leapt forward and wrapped her arms around me and Zoro.

"Thank you," she breathed, tightening the hug before releasing it.

All our eyes widened at the surprise gesture.

She smiled sweetly. "I really wanted to thank you for all you've done for Luffy. He told me everything about you guys and what you have done during your time with him. Especially you, Nami and Roronoa Zoro."

She turned to Usopp and Sanji. "Don't worry, he didn't leave you two out. In fact, Usopp, Luffy told me so many funny stories about you and him." She giggled as if remembering some of them. "Sanji, he loves your food and insist I try some someday."

Then, she took a step back to face all of us at the same time.

"I just wanted you to know how grateful Luffy is to have you guys as friends."

"Wait..." I held up my hands. "Why are you saying these things? There's a reason and I don't think I'm going to like it."

Winter's eyes met mine.

"Luffy has asked me to join the crew."

All of us swallowed nervously.

"Really?" Usopp questioned.

"What did you say?" Sanji asked.

Winter held up her hands. "Look, I don't want to cause any trouble. I know how much Luffy loves you guys and I don't want to interfere."

I took a few steps forward towards her. "You didn't answer my question, Winter."

She went silent.

"Tell him I'm sorry." she breathed, and my body relaxed. She continued. "Tell him to always follow his dream even if I don't join the crew." She slowly removed the Straw Hat from her head and set it in my hands carefully, as if not to damage it.

"Tell him to believe in his straw hat."

Then, she left.

She ran into the woods.

Without another word.