Ace's Mission Part 4

"So there's a chance Teach is your father..." I mumbled to myself unconsciously. Thankfully, Rachel didn't seem to hear me.

"Where's the rest of your family?" I asked, trying to figure out the truth. I didn't want to automatically assume like I did before. Rachel didn't seem to like the question.

"Why are you so interested in me?" she questioned. Her brow was raised and her mouth returned to its former straight line. I tried to shrug it off. "I'm just trying to make small talk before the show starts."

"You're lucky I even brought you here." She growled. I chuckled. "I'm sorry if I offended you in any way."

Rachel waved it off. "Don't worry about it. I'm used to it." She sighed. "I've always been judged based on my family records. My father became a pirate. My mother was killed by pirates...It's just one big mess. My life is a mess."

"I'm sorry." I said, wanting to pat her shoulder, but I knew that would just make her uncomfortable. "My father was a pirate, too, and he left my mother and I to defend for ourselves when I was two. I never saw him again. My mother then grew sick and passed away. I was sent to a foster home, who the owner is a friend of my adopted grandfather's, who is a Marine, to watch over me until I was ready to become a Marine myself."

"Wow, tough life." Rachel commented, but I could tell she really felt sorry for me, even though I wasn't looking for sympathy.

"It was fine. It could've been worse. While at the foster care, I met my brother."

"You have a brother?" Rachel's tone changed. I shrugged. "Well, we're not actually related by blood, but we grew up together and became closer than brothers. I love that kid to death."

"That's nice."

I looked over to her. "That's the first time you've actually said something nice tp me." Rachel's face grew red. "Well, I can't lie." she huffed, and I held up my hands in surrender. "Alright, alright." I laughed, hoping to make her smile.

Nothing.

She was a tough one. How on Earth could she not smile at anything? At least I knew she could compliment someone. But with a straight face seemed unnatural. There must be something more to her story that she wasn't telling me.

Fornuately, I didn't have to push it.

"It is possible that Blackbeard is my father." Rachel admitted. My mouth twisted to the side. "I believe it's possible, too."

"But why would it matter?" She looked at me with daring eyes. I licked my lips. "Well, being the child of a victorous pirate might bring danger to you. I'm just a little worried, that's all."

"Why would someone like you worry about someone like me?"

"Why not?"

Rachel fell silent as I smiled to her.

"You know, Rachel, I know when someone feels lonely. Whether they show it or not."

Unexpectedly, I saw a tear escape the corner of her eye and trickle down her cheek.

"You can?"