1st Day of Christmas

Mega oof this kinda went nowhere but enjoy

Edited 06/02/2024: minor changes and format editing

It was sloppy, he knew it was a rush job. Twenty seconds on the clock and trying to disarm it was bold and something Batman would've thoroughly kicked his ass for but he was so close. Robin was just about to disarm the bomb when Cyborg's voice came shouting through his comm unit, almost blowing out his eardrums. 

"It's gonna blow! Get running now!" he ordered. 

Although Robin was as stubborn as a mule, he knew when and when not to follow an order made by someone other than himself. This was when he followed an order. He shot up from the ground and made a break for the exit. He wasn't fast enough to get out completely but he was just far enough that the fire from the explosion did nothing but singe the back of his cape. The force of the explosion sent him flying head over heels and left a loud ringing noise in his ears. He winced at the ringing, hoping it wouldn't last all night. He'd been close to one too many explosions to know that ringing could last for days.

The Teen Titans ran towards their leader and were relieved to find he'd survived the explosion. He smiled at them, showing he was okay for the most part even after taking a tumble. Starfire helped him up with a concerned look but he shook it off. He didn't feel any intense pain so he must be okay. The only thing that hurt was his ears but that was to be expected. Her mouth moved, seemingly asking if Robin was okay but nothing came out. 

"What?" Robin shouted.

"Are you alright?" she repeated, only louder yet the expression on the leader's face didn't change. She was met with the same confused look from the Boy Wonder. This can't be good, she thought to herself. 

"I can't hear you!" he shouted back. "Think I was a little too close to the bomb when it went off!" They exchanged worried looks between themselves, each noting damage to hearing as a symptom of being too close to an explosion but Robin was quick to ease them. "Don't worry! It'll probably wear off in an hour or so!"

"How are we supposed to talk to you?" Cyborg yelled right in his ear. Still, there was no reaction but it was worth a shot. He got a dirty look from Raven for potentially making it worse.

"I can't hear you at all!" He had no idea he was practically screaming at them. The only thing he could hear was a dull pulse and ringing. It was strange not to hear himself speak. He could feel his mouth move, the noise coming out and yet there was nothing. Just muscles working to make a noise he didn't know.

"I don't think yelling in his ear is going to help," Raven deadpanned. Her leader stared at her blankly as he tried to read her lips. She could almost feel his confused concentration as if it were her own. 

"Looks like lip-reading isn't going to be an option!" She huffed, racking her brain for something they could use to communicate with him. Then she remembered something Robin had taught them when the team was in its early days. He took ample time to teach them how to treat civilians, any and all of them. It was important to communicate with everyone they came across. They learned phrases in certain languages and started learning the second and third most used languages in the state to be fluent enough to hold some sort of conversation but they struggled to remember a lot of it.