Spare me

OKAY i know this isn't the part two but I'm working on fifty different things soo i'll be posting two fairly short stories to make up for it, gucci? 

Edited 15/02/2024: format change and small additions

"Hi Mama," Dick greeted, grinning at the woman beside his bedside. She smiled back tearfully and took a seat next to him. She reached out for his hand, taking it in hers and rubbing circles on the back of it with her thumb as she had done when he was a child. He remembered that even through the worst sicknesses of his life, as long as his mum did that, he would know he'd be okay. He missed it terribly.

"Hi Dick, how's my little robin feeling?" she asked. He sighed. 

"Not so good." He'd been shot multiple times after taking the wrong route home. How funny it would be if he died as a civilian, not as Nightwing. At least as Nightwing, he was practically asking for death. He taunted it every time he set out in that suit and ran around fighting people either ten times his size or stronger than he could ever be. It was a miracle he survived his youth.

He couldn't remember if someone eventually came to his aid or not. By the white sheets covering his body, he decided against the latter. Someone must've helped him and gotten him to some sort of hospital. However, the sight of his mother suggested they didn't help in time or the white sheets weren't meant for living patients. 

"You'll keep soldiering on though, right?" she questioned. 

"I'll try." She nodded to herself and began to run a hand through his hair, weaving her fingers into his curly black locks. 

"You know, I never said just how beautiful your eyes were," she said, staring into them intently. 

"Got them from Tati and you. Is he coming?"

"Not until we know you're joining us which better not be any time soon," she told him sternly. She didn't say how his father found it torturous to see his son so close but knew that he'd either have to face the reality of his son dying or once again leave him to a life without his parents. An empty chuckle left Dick's lips. 

"How is it that I only get to see you when something awful has happened?"

"The universe is cruel like that."

They sat in silence, enjoying the moments they spent together. A single tear slipped down Mary's face. Dick quickly moved to wipe it away, unhappy at the sight. 

"Don't cry, Mama." She swallowed thickly and tried to compose herself yet the thought of her baby going so early crept in. Too early. He had too much life to live and far too many people to live it with.

"I'm sorry, baby. I don't mean to upset you." He smiled and assured her it was alright. She couldn't take it. It felt like a part of her was dying with him. Her poor baby never making it to his wedding. Never seeing his brothers grow up around him. Never seeing them branch out and seeing their lives. He'd built such a beautiful family. She'd hate to see it ripped apart like their own.