Don't dismiss a serial pessimist being optimistic

CloeTheTealSnake suggested this on discord and has patiently waited for it so here it is 

"Hey Rob, did the League always like you?" Artemis inquired, finding the minimal chatter in the room boring. None of the conversations was anything of interest. Attention turned to the young teen sat upside down on the couch, working on whatever he was doing. He looked up to her, thought for a moment, then shook his head. "But they're basically all lining up to adopt you," Wally argued. Robin scoffed, sitting up the right way. 

"When they found out I was working, they nearly kicked Batman off the team. I was nine and pretty small for my age so they thought I wasn't capable," he reasoned.

"You're still pretty small for your age," Artemis pointed out.

"I'm like average height!"

"For a ten-year-old," she added under her breath. "What made them treat you like they do now?"

"I did what every hero does to make friends. I saved them." The team leaned in slightly, engaged by the story. "Urgh fine I'll tell you what happened but don't bring it up to the League. They get embarrassed."

June five years ago

It was Batman's final mission with the Justice League and morale was low. Despite instigating the leave, the other main members of the League were solemn to see him go. Yet they had no other choice. They gave him an ultimatum, pull Robin from fighting crime or leave the League, and he chose to leave. Though, that didn't seem to hit home until they stepped off the invisible jet on their last mission with him. Sure he was a bit of a pessimist and often killed the fun in things but it was endearing. "So Bats, have you had a rethink about your decision?" Green Arrow inquired. 

"Why would I need to? I believe in Robin whilst you believe otherwise. I'm standing by him and that's final," Batman replied coldly. 

"Your decision, although I will uphold it, is incredibly stupid," Superman argued. He couldn't believe the stubbornness of the man. "We're heroes who protect those who can't fight for themselves. That includes children," he added.

"I've heard your argument 100x over and it won't convince me on the 101st time."

"Let's leave the argument -"

"Like Bats is gonna leave the League-"

"Flash you're not helping - let's leave the argument for the last mission," Wonder Woman announced, not sparing Flash the glare.

Nobody knows much about what happened after that. Some members remember hearing a bang whilst others remember something whistling. To this day the time between leaving the ship and being held in a cell hasn't been explained. Robin always suspected that it was due to the chemical used to knock them out and, since they were in the middle of nowhere, they couldn't refer to any CCTV to fill in the gaps. That was hardly the League's main focus at the time. They were stuck in some brick room when they regained themselves. It was cold and damp, suggesting they were in a cellar of some sort. "This might be our last last mission," Flash commented, receiving a groan of discontent from his team. 

"What even happened?" Green Arrow inquired. 

"No idea, but we have a problem," Batman responded. They quirked an eyebrow at him until they realized all the supers were out of commission. "I'm calling in reinforcements," Batman added. They were surprised by him. He was as stubborn as his suit was black so why would he call in other heroes? "Who's gonna come? There are no other members on Earth - oh my God you're going to call that child," Wonder Woman replied. "You can't send him for us! The poor child will get hurt," she shouted.