Brace face

FandomTrash257 requested this so we can break up my near-obsessive writing of Talon! Dick

If there was one thing Robin wasn't when he was in the safety of the Mountain, it was quiet. He'd always do something to announce his presence in some way ever since he got more comfortable around the team. Sure he could disappear but he got bored quickly and jumped out at any passer-by he thought he'd get a reaction from. So when he slinked into the Mountain, remained quiet for the entire training session even when M'gann accidentally tripped Kaldur, causing him to fall flat on his face, he stayed quiet, they all knew something was wrong. They finished training and went to the common's room for refreshments which gave them ample opportunity to figure out what was wrong with him. "You want something to eat Rob?" M'gann inquired. He shook his head with a closed-lipped smile to show he was thankful for the offer. He never did that. He always had a grin. "You sure? We have all your favorites in," she added, trying to sweeten the deal. Yet he shook his head and smiled his thanks again. He sat down on the couch and pulled up some assignments on his holo computer. Most of them were personal to-dos like update some systems and finish off some programs he was working on. Busy work really but they needed to be done anyway. Wally sat beside him and looked over his shoulder. "Whatcha working on?" Robin showed him the screen. He really wasn't one for talking. "I don't know what that means. Can you explain it?" He shook his head with a frown. "Alright Rob, you asked for it." The ginger jumped onto the couch and attacked Robin's side with tickles. The younger squirmed underneath him but had his lips pressed together, even with the sides of his mouth curling up wanting him to grin and giggle. "I won't give up until you smile," he warned. Robin tried to slap at his hands but ultimately failed. He cackled loudly, momentarily forgetting the reason he'd stayed quiet in the first place. The team didn't fail to notice what had kept him so silent.

When Wally stopped tickling him, as he said he would if he smiled, Robin realized what he did and clamped his hand across his mouth. He sat back up with an embarrassed blush emblazing his cheeks. "Since when did you get braces?" Kaldur asked. They hadn't seen them the last time they went on the mission last week. Robin shook his head, pouting that they knew. "C'mon babe, you can't exactly hide them now. You may as well tell us," Wally urged him. The younger huffed and rolled his eyes. 

"I got them three days ago because some guy decided to relocate my teeth over drug money," he explained. His voice had a slight slur to it thanks to the weird feeling in his mouth. It hadn't sunk in yet that these were here to stay for the time being. The wires kept catching on the inside of his cheeks and their taught nature made his whole mouth sore. It was just easier to avoid talking but now he had to. "How long are they on for?" Artemis asked. Knowing Batman, he'd have a pretty penny saved for his ward to get the best of the best. She didn't doubt that these were some sort of miracle braces that only needed to be one for three nights for you to get straight teeth again. "Six months," he answered defeatedly. "And they suck! My whole mouth hurts all the time."

"I mean normally they're on for a year so that's something," Wally said, trying to make the best out of a bad situation. 

"Oh joy."

"You look adorable with them anyway," he assured his boyfriend. Robin didn't look best pleased though. 

"And that makes it better because at least I look good for you," he snapped. He recognized his mistake almost instantly when he saw his boyfriend's surprised expression. Normally his sassy comments had a warm outer coating but this one came out blunt and cold. "Sorry. I'm just ratty. I haven't slept since I got them. Even painkillers aren't making a dent in how bad they feel," he explained. "Doesn't help that they need tightening more often than regular braces so by the time I get used to it, they'll be tightened again."