A mask behind the mask

imustbealoner requested this and I hope this is okay 

Bonhoeffer makes me wanna bon off myself

ALSO I AM SORRY IF I DIDN'T WRITE CASS'S CHARACTER WELL I JUST SEE HER AS SWEET LIL PEANUT WITH A MEDIOCRE GRASP ON ENGLISH WHO COULD ALSO SNAP YOUR NECK

Trigger warning - there will be scenes of torture and sensitive topics such as rape. I will not be describing rape in extreme detail but it will be talked about and used in a degrading way at a point. This is a sensitive topic and I will give it the respect it deserves.

https://www.itv.com/thismorning/rape-helplines  - here are some helplines and stay safe <3

Beep. Beep. Beep. It just droned on and on. It was supposed to be comforting but it was just a reminder of the silent room. The room was devoid of the boisterous young man they'd come to love. They weren't completely devoid of him. He was there just not entirely. He was trapped in a coma caused by the disgusting clown that was Joker. The awful state they found him in haunted their thoughts every time they looked at him. Half of him was covered in bandages that were slowly turning red. Artemis and Barbara were the ones to find him. They found him in an alley. His body was covered in slashes and stab wounds. He was only wearing his mask and boxers as he shivered in the cold, barely conscious. They called it in immediately. They didn't need to ask who did it. The red Js scattering his body clued them in well on who their suspect was. He was fully unconscious by the time Young Justice came. He's been in a coma for three days. "I just don't understand," Tim began. Everyone was in the Med Bay. They only left for a couple of hours at a time to do some work, shower, change and get some food, then they'd come right back and sit with him. "None of his injuries affected his brain. He should be awake right now," he continued, getting gradually more frustrated. He didn't understand how this was right. He was defying the field of medicine! "I'm afraid this is not a coma caused by physical trauma to the brain," M'gann spoke up. Everyone turned to her. How else could you be put into a coma? "I've been listening for his thoughts for the last three days. A person in a coma caused by physical means will still give off thoughts. They'll yell or talk to themselves. They're still there. He's been silent this entire time." 

"But that would mean he's dead? Are we sure we plugged in the heart monitor?" Jason asked, checking the wires. It was indeed plugged in and the plug socket was on. 

"Or it means the cause of the coma is emotional. Something happened during his time with Joker that was much worse than any of the other times," M'gann said.

"We can't exactly ask him," Artemis stated, gesturing to Dick's comatose form. M'gann frowned. 

"This is the tough part. The only way we can solve this is to go inside, find the memory and find the subconscious," the martian replied. "I can get you in and keep you there but his mind will be falling apart so I'll have to stay on a different telepathic level to stabilize it."

"So we'll just be wandering around trying to find the right memory? That could take forever," the archer pointed out. She cared for Dick, yes, but it would be like a wild goose chase inside his head. All that weirdness he exhibited had to come from somewhere and she'd rather not be in that place for hours upon hours. Especially when the reward will be seeing something so traumatizing that he went into a coma over it. Her teammates nodded along with her statement reluctantly. Of course, everyone wanted to help but maybe this could be sorted out with time? "How about you let her explain rather than jumping in with questions?" Bruce announced with a glare. He was irritable. Had been since he arrived to be at his son's side. Their jaws clamped shut since they knew better than to go against an angry Batdad. "Go on M'gann."