Falling apart finale

Previously on falling apart....

Wally accidentally admitted to having an affair with Artemis before his wedding with Dick. Dick leaves and stays at the manor where he is comforted by his family. The moment is ruined by Jason making an ill-timed joke and Dick goes to burn all the things that reminded him of Wally. After Damian stops him, Dick admits that he still loves Wally but doesn't know what to do next.

Now we're all caught up, let's get into the story

Edited 08/02/2024: format change and a lot of additions

"You wanna know what I hate the most?" Dick asked.

"What?"

"I still love him. I still want a life with him."

Damian didn't suspect any different from his brother. He never got over Wally's passing and Damian suspected, even after cheating on him, he would fall apart without him. What love they had was one that had already persevered through loss, what more was cheating? The younger despised knowing that. Wally didn't deserve the unconditional love Dick had for him and threw it away once he got a chance. If he could, he would take that love from his brother and destroy it to save him the heartbreak. Though if he did that, Dick wouldn't be who he was. He loved his family through their worst moments when they didn't always deserve it but because he had loved them through it, they were still together. Wally would be no different.

"Do you really want that?" he asked, hoping Dick would change his mind but knowing that he wouldn't. 

"I really do. I've loved him for too long to lose him now."

"It's not you losing him. It's him losing you through his own mistake," he reminded the older. He heard a sigh escape the acrobat's lips and his grip loosened. There was no changing his mind. "You should come back to dinner. Todd will surely want to apologize for his behaviour this evening," he added. They parted and Dick dried his face with the back of his hand in hopes of getting rid of the evidence. 

"He's not the only one who needs to apologize."

After having a thorough collective telling-off from Alfred, Bruce, and Tim, Jason was ready to apologize. Mostly to get back in everyone's good books of course, not because he actually cared for his brother. Ha, like he felt remorse for upsetting a genuinely nice guy who didn't deserve what happened to him. Psch. Luckily for him, Dick came back to the table along with Damian and took his seat with little fanfare. He looked exhausted so he had to have been crying at one point. 

"Sorry for being so extra," Dick mumbled, a light dusting of red adorning his cheeks from embarrassment. 

"Yeah, I'm sorry too," Jason replied.

"You didn't know, it's fine," he assured the gun-toting anti-hero. It wasn't as comforting as he thought. It was more like a murder victim apologizing for walking into the knife too many times.