it'll be okay

he ran his fingers through his dark brown curls in frustration, "how did we get to this?" he asked aloud making my chest ache.

this is going to hurt.

"i-i don't know." i tightened the sweater over my chest and looked down at the ground.

"we can try to fix this, i'm sure of it." he assured stepping closer to me with hope glistening in his glossy warm brown eyes.

i swallowed hard before shaking my head, "that never works."

his face fell as he processed my words. he stepped back in disbelief, his lips pursed together as he searched for an explanation.

"you're leaving?" his voice lowered in a softer tone.

"i have to shawn." i said over the lump that was growing in my throat.

his body tensed as he turned around, not even wanting to look at me anymore. i felt tears begin to burn in my eyes as i realized just what was happening.

"i'll make it easy then." he said taking one last look at me before opening the door. with in seconds, it slammed leaving me alone in the empty house.

sobs began to rake throughout my body as i slid against the wooden door. my body collided with the floor as i tried to gasp for air. tears ran down my face soaking my clothes.

i start to imagine a world where we don't collide. if i had never gone out that night, got the courage to call his number, or go out on that date. i would have saved us both the heartbreak we were going to endure.

the walls around me seemed to be closing in on me as my mind raced. the memories, promises, and future we planned was all fading to black now.

a few months went by without shawn. the first few days were the hardest and darkest. it eventually seemed to get easier, but the stinging in my chest never seemed to go away.

i decided to catch up with the world by scrolling through social media. after many photos of parties, red carpet events, and family gatherings, he showed up on my screen.

my chest began to burn as his face stared up at me. his hair was longer, his skin was more tan, but there was still no genuine smile on his lips.

@shawnmendes- it'll be okay, i'll love you either way.

AHHHH this song has been on repeat ever since it came out, giving very much illuminate shawn.