flower shop

the various arrangements were scattered all throughout the store. the coolers were overfilled, the line of customers poured out into the street, and our truck was running late.

i took in a deep breath and tried to convince myself that i could pull this together somehow. order after order began to jumble in my brain. at least the pick up orders gave me a sense of relief.

"thank you." the old man said with a smile on his face, revealing the wrinkles around his eyes.

"of course, i'm sure your wife will love them." i assured as i finished up the bow on the lily arrangement.

"they were always her favorites." he said making my chest ache deeply. i forced a smile as i handed him the vase.

after about an hour or so, the line was finally clearing up. i felt like i could finally catch my breath again.

"is it too put in a order?" i looked up to meet a pair of soft brown eyes. his brows were pushed together with a worried expression plastered across his flawless face.

"uh," i cleared my throat and shook my head, "well, that really depends on what you're wanting. if it's roses, lilies, or sunflowers, we are out until later this afternoon." i explained as i felt my cheeks heat up due to his deep stare on me.

"that's okay, i'll take whatever you have that you think will look best." he said as he began to reach for his wallet.

"are peonies okay?" i asked to clarify.

"sure, i have no idea what those are," he shrugged, "but sounds good to me."

i laughed slightly as i entered in his total before going to the back to make the arrangement.

i gathered pink and white peonies before throwing in the dark green leather leaf. once i finished it up, i placed it in the vase and stood back to analyze it one last time.

"would you like a card?" i asked as i walked back out. he was sitting down in one of the chairs with his phone in his hand. he quickly looked up at the sound of my voice, and stood up.

"yes, 2 please. can i borrow a pen, also?" he asked rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

i nodded and reached in the small container before handing him the things and moved onto the next customer. once i was finished, i saw his eyes on me once again.

"thank you." he said softly as he slid a card across the counter before walking out the door.

maybe i could get you an arrangement next time,
                                                   -shawn

his number was printed under his name making me smile even harder.

maybe busy days at the flower shop weren't so bad.