Coping

"I'm not going to school. Please mama I don't want to. I want to see Yaya."

"I know you do honey but school is important. You can see your friends and...

"I don't want to!! Just leave me alone!!" Screaming at her mother the girl ran into the blondes bedroom crying her eyes out for it was difficult and had been for the past three days. The little girl was really beside herself and had become difficult, withdrawn and almost depressed. Callie wasn't sure what to do for she was feeling just as bad as her little girl but had to push all of that to the side.

"Babe maybe just let her stay home. Might be the best thing right now." Pete suggested as a took a seat on the couch trying to change Andrews clothing. Right now the entire family was staying at Stef and Lena's home and almost every night the kids slept in their bed. Frankie mostly slept on her mom's said beside Baby Stef along with Callie, Alice, baby Andrew and Noah. Many times they would try to comfort one another depending on who was crying and who couldn't fall asleep. Usually it was baby Stef.

Pete was able to sleep on the air mattress in the living room as  Stuart and Miss Rose slept in the girls room. Jude stayed over as well on the couch as Dana slept in the boys room. Crowded yes but the family could not bear to be apart as Roxy would come over in the mornings with Jesus bringing breakfast. Since Mariana and Frankie were forbidden to see one another Peaches carefully watched her when they did go over but right now no one was misbehaving or back talking. Everyone just wanted Stef home.

"I know I should just keep her home and she wants to see mom so bad. But I don't know. They won't even let us see her besides Mama Lion."

"Cals she is gonna make it.  She will and when she does we will all see her and show her how much we love her and care for her."

"Brought muffins I made and some bacon and eggs. Ya'll up for something to eat?" Roxy said walking into the home and laying everything out on the table. Callie's stomach was too sick as usual to eat as Miss Rose got out juice, milk and water for everyone.

"That is nice of you Roxanne. A very big help bringing all that over."

"I baked em last night at 4am."

"4am?"

"Yeah. I can't sleep for shit. So I just bake all damm night. Got two pans of ziti too for dinner too. Maybe Lena will eat it."

"Ahh I don't know. We can bring it but I doubt she will be able to eat it. She hasn't been keeping much down lately or at all for that matter."

"Yeah I know. This shit is no joke. Sister girl needs to wake up." She said as Judy now entered the home to get more clothes for Lena.

"She will honey. Lets lay this food out so everyone can eat and we can be on our way."

"Will do."

"I will go to the hospital this morning Miss Rose." Dana said pouring coffee as Frankie came into the kitchen barely eating the muffin. She too was sick to her stomach as Ali tried to get her to eat. But it was no use.

"Sure. We can go in shifts if that helps?"

"I think it will. Lena needs a break but I doubt she will leave Stef's side." Dana admitted. "Infact I know she won't until she wakes up. And even then."

"I doubt she will too but it's good we can bring her food and clothes just so she can at least get herself together a bit." Miss Rose said as she gently squeezed Dana's hand the women exchanging smiles.

"I agree. Let me see if I can help Callie with baby Stef. That poor child."

"I know."

With Dana going off into the bedroom to help Callie the rest of the family was trying to eat and be more positive as they could. But it was hard, very difficult as Stuart took Andrew outside to play catch.

"What if mama doesn't wake up? Like what if she just doesn't." Frankie asked really addressing her question to no one. 

"You can't think that way honey. You can't." Judy said. "We need to be strong for her, and positive and think good thoughts and things. We need to pray."

"Franks I'm not up and big on praying either." Roxy began." But it's worth a damm shot. Can't nothing bad come from doing it."

"This is very true." Miss Rose said chiming in and sipping on her coffee. She too of course was equally devastated as the rest of the family but was trying hard to be strong for everyone. Even herself.

"Mama didn't even pray though. She wasn't into that."

"Yes and no Frankie. She had her moments." Miss Rose said.

"When? I never saw her pray."

"We did a few times in jail." Roxy said. "I remember when you were sick, you were super little and had meningitis."

"Oh I remember that." Judy said.

"Me too." Jude said now taking a sip of his own coffee and making sure Lena had everything in her bag.

"Yup and me and Stef prayed like nothing else. For days we prayed. We prayed when Callie went into labor, we prayed many times Franks. Maybe we didn't always believe in that but we had our moments. Even as kids."

"What was mom like as a kid. Was she just as bossy and controlling?" Jude asked laughing as he managed to get everyone to laugh. Even Frankie let out a small smile.

"Hell yeah she was. A pain in my ass. Did ya'll expect anything different."

"Ha! No." Jude said.

"Always trying to tell someone what to do. Couldn't help it. Still can't. I remember when we first learned how to drive. Man she wouldn't let me drive for nothing. And I was the better driver. She ran stop signs, cut people off, all kinda crap.  Let her tell you how many tickets she got that she never paid."

"No way mama? I can't see that." Frankie giggled.

"Better believe it. Was always bossy and controlling. Damm. I got a ton of stories."

"Tell some. Please." Peaches said smiling and hoping it would help the kids more. "I mean good ones. Positive ones."

"Yeah yeah we were good. Sometimes." Roxy chuckled. "One thing that hasn't changed ever was her passion for family and stuff. Look I know I was not cool for years, and I fucked up and fucked this family but coming to my senses I can say no one loves this family as much as she does. That's why she will make it ya'll. She will. And we all gotta believe that. So let's eat this food I made at damm near 4am and lets get down to the hospital and wake her ass up!"

Laughing a bit Roxy was able to lighten the mood some with her humor. It was something she was always able to do as they all soon headed to the hospital hoping Stef would finally wake up.